Alabama House Bill 22 (Proposed Notary Bill 2019)

Heads up to everyone in Alabama. Three House Representatives are proposing HB22. Below is the synopsis:

“Under existing law, a notary public in the State of Alabama must be a resident of the state. [HB22] would allow a person who is a resident of a state bordering on the State of Alabama who carries on a business, profession, or who is regularly employed in the State of Alabama to be commissioned as a notary public by the judge of probate of the county in which the person carries on his or her profession, business, or employment.”

If you want to read the entire Bill (Act) I uploaded a copy to the Notaries for Alabama website www.notariesforalabama.com. You can also go to legislative website.

Representatives Chris Blackshear (House District 80); Corey Harbison (House District 12); and Scott Stadhthagen (House District 9) are authors of the bill.

The Bill will have its First Reading in March 2019. My goal for posting this here in this forum is to make sure as many Alabama Notaries are informed and have ample time to decide for themselves how to respond, if at all.

As for me, I’m still gathering information from a variety of sources and will reach back out to Representative Blackshear with my thoughts and recommendations.