Available work in Metropolitan Atlanta, GA

Hello All,

I am very new; completed the course from NNA in April but, I haven’t taken a job just yet. I am hearing that there’s a lot of work in the Atlanta area but, when reading some information on one of the sites, maybe 123notary.com they recommend against Georgians paying for their course. Can anyone say if there is enough work in this area to go around?

Thanks,
Tracey

To the best of my knowledge, GA is an attorney-only state for loan signings. I don’t know all the laws and/or rules about this nor even where to find them, but strongly urge you to do so before you move forward, unless you actually are an attorney. This, of course, has nothing to do with General Notary work. FWIW, I have also heard stories of new GA notaries being told by less-than-stellar signing services that they could do loan signings. However, it’s not their neck on the block, so they have nothing to lose as they’re not the person doing something illegal. Lengthy fairly recent discussion:

http://www.notaryrotary.com/forums/forums.asp?id=&forumid=1AAA00000003&messageid=2126482&action=view

To add - somewhere someone found something that says notaries can do signings for non-Georgia properties; I’m not so sure that’s 100% true - although many links have been posted showing the GA law on non-attorneys closing loans, I’ve not seen anyone post any citations proving it’s okay to do signings for out-of-state properties. I’m guessing it’s an interpretation of the language of the law.

Your best bet? I’d refer you to the GA Bar Association before proceeding to do loan signings. And BTW, as for NNA, I’d like you to note there’s a poster here who did the loan signing course through NNA - he’s in MD and they never told him he needed a Title Producer’s License to do closings - they just took his money and let him take the certification course. So buyer beware - know your own state laws before you rely on the word of a national FOR-PROFIT corporation who has proven time and time again they do NOT represent the best interests of the notary public.

Rant over…and good luck to you

Thank you both for the information. I know closings are completed by attorneys but, we can do other signings. I did see a lot of people in the find a notary section from GA after I posted the question. I would also like to hear from one or two of them when they have time. I love this site, this is the most information that I have found on notaries.

Tracey - you said “I am very new; completed the course from NNA in April but, I haven’t taken a job just yet. I am hearing that there’s a lot of work in the Atlanta area but, when reading some information on one of the sites, maybe 123notary.com they recommend against Georgians paying for their course”

We can only assume from this that the “course” you took through NNA was the loan signing course; also yes, 123 does recommend against Georgians taking their loan signing course because notaries can’t do them - in fact, last I heard he won’t list a Georgian notary as a loan signing agent because of the law prohibiting the practice.

The bulk of your work is probably going to be general notary work involved in other transactions - adoptions, structured settlements, and various other industries/transactions - just nothing related to real estate closings. You’re going to have to read other profiles, see what services other notaries in your area offer, read their websites for their services, etc etc.

I’m really sorry you invested in the course for something you can’t do. Take consolation in knowing you’re not the only one to do so.

I did have a thought some time ago - maybe this will be a tip for you and anyone else looking for a marketing tip - Home Health Care agencies - they are always in contact with homebound folks who may or may not need a notary; hit the pavement and visit them - leave your business cards - you may strike gold there.

Good luck

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for the information. Yes there are other things that I can do. I have been contacted by a few companies in the past but, regrettably had to pass on the jobs due to my full time job and not enough notification. My job ends at the end of March and I will be ready to go full time.

PS - notary123 has contacted me on multiple occasions for signings in the past. I love this site and all of the information that I have gathered.

Thanks again Linda, wishing everyone a prosperous 2019!

Tracey