Best Printer for Signing Agents

Thank you. I appreciate all the advise and comments. Unfortunately, it does not have any provision for a second tray. I don’t mind spending a little more to get what I need, instead of buying something that I will regret in the near future.

What do you think about this: https://www.pcnation.com/web/details/3F1505/Brother-MFC-L5700DW-Laser-Multifunction-Printer-Monochrome-Duplex-MFC-L5700DW-012502642381?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp3F1505&sc_intid=3F1505&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=217821927305&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3MBvddfTRYdUUFoonRJQlb5C9J3bLGcc0CASsv6O6ntXCjDQEUrTexoCI2gQAvD_BwE

This has provision for a second tray I guess:
https://www.pcnation.com/web/details/3F1505/Brother-MFC-L5700DW-Laser-Multifunction-Printer-Monochrome-Duplex-MFC-L5700DW-012502642381?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o3&scid=scplp3F1505&sc_intid=3F1505&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=217821927305&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=CjwKCAiA3vfgBRB9EiwAkfpd3MBvddfTRYdUUFoonRJQlb5C9J3bLGcc0CASsv6O6ntXCjDQEUrTexoCI2gQAvD_BwE

Since you also need a scanner that product looks like it’d be a good choice. But since the scanner software that comes with it is likely to generate huge file sizes like my HP scanner does, keep a software product known as VueScan in mind. My HP scanner too often generated ginormous .pdf file sizes after scanning a big document that often were too large to be emailed. VueScan compresses the file sizes way down, often to 1/10 the size my HP could even with max compression. My VueScan scanner software package only cost me $39.95 for a lifetime license.

2 Likes

I have used the printer and realized that it has a multi-purpose tray in addition to the main tray. This MP tray can print different paper sizes. However, I have not used it to print a pdf that contains two different paper sizes to know how it will handle it. I may be keeping the printer after all.

Thank you. I appreciate!

I have a Brother HL5470DW with dual trays. I bought it in 2012 and have never had a problem with it. It is black & white only (no color) and has wi-fi capability so it is on my home network and wireless. It is not multifunctional but I have a Canon MX340 color inkjet that I’ve had for 10 years with no problems at all. It will scan, fax, copy & save to PDF format and also has wi-fi capability. I agree with the person who says it is not wise to use only a multifunctional printer because if one function fails you don’t have a printer. I’ve had an older HP printer but can’t get a driver for it anymore from HP that I needed to hook it up to a more modern computer. I donated it to a school program. I find the Brother printers to be trouble-free and mine has served me well for 6 years. I found a website that offers toner cartridges for a reasonable price and they are cheaper than HP toner cartridges and last a long time.

Thank you, jcanty! I have purchased Brother MFC-L5900DW multifunctional laser with dual tray. This printer came with one paper tray and a multipurpose tray. However, I bought an additional lower tray. With all the good reviews in the internet I hope this printer will serve me well.

I have been looking at this All In One model. Let me know how you like it so far, since I am seriously looking at buying one. Thanks.

Brother Monochrome Laser Printer, HL-L5200DWT, Duplex Printing, Wireless Networking, Dual Paper Trays, Mobile Printing, Amazon Dash Replenishment Enabled

I’ve been a notary signing agent for a little over a year now and the printer I purchased goes everywhere with me. The printer I bought also prints both letter size and legal size docs in the correct order. You just need to make sure that the printer has 2 trays to hold each size of paper. Its compact and prints very quickly and quietly. It also prints on both sides if need be for additional copies. Sometimes clients will accidentally mess up, or maybe certain docs will need to be updated prior to signing. I’ll post the printer below that I purchased and it really is the best printer for signing agents / mobile notaries to have with them at all times. Depending on your set-up while on the go, you can print docs from your car either through WiFi, Bluetooth or from a direct connection. It was definitely the best overall printer for efficiency, convenience and price! Feel free to reach out with any questions that you may have!

I have that same printer but it’s too big for me to use in my car. I thought about using the single tray Brother that I have as a portable printer but I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle and worry. Do you have an inverter? I don’t mind taking my scanner but I’m afraid that I’d ruin my printer by having it in my car. (Bumpy, dusty gravel roads and temperature extremes).

1 Like

A smaller printer may not be able to print out 200+ docs in time with letter size and legal size documents layered throughout. Small portable ink jet printers are great for a few single docs that may get sent to you to print while at the client’s house, but you should always be prepared so that you don’t miss any additional signings that may get assigned to you last minute to maximize opportunity. The Brother printer is also a laser printer so it will save you a lot of money in “ink” in the long run. You can find car power inverters online for a few dollars which are very easily accessible. I’ll put a copy of the one down below that I purchased. As long as you keep your window’s up on those dusty roads and not launch yourself over speed-bumps (lol) your printer should do fine. If parking in direct sun on hot days, you should try to protect it out of the direct sunlight.

Foval 150W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger

I don’t mean to be a smarta$$ but I’m having a hard time believing that a $17.00 inverter powers that beast.

1 Like

A small inverter like that will not even come close to powering a printer like that Brother.

1 Like

My lord! Hope you have an SUV because that is a beast.

Hi Michael:
What type of inverter are you using? Please share specs. Thanks!!

This printer requires approximately 600 watts to print and almost double that during peak usage. A small inverter will not be sufficient to operate this printer. You will need a Pure Sine Wave Inverter of at least 2000 watts to efficiently run this beast. I have the Brother HLL2350 Single Tray printer in my car with a 2000 watt inverter and it is running just fine.

2 Likes

I am using the Brother DCP-L5500DN, it is my third in three years. It has a dual tray and is an all in one monochrome printer. A disadvantage is that you have to use a direct connection to print as it does not have Bluetooth capability so you cannot send print commands directly from your phone. When I buy the replacement unit I can keep using the same second tray so that keep the replacement costs low. I swap out the drum when prompted to keep the copies crisp and only use genuine Brother toner.

I tried knock-off toner cartridge early in the game and found it clogged up my printer and I lost valuable time fixing that error. I have a membership at Staples and get a discount in my toner purchases in store and online. If I am at Office Max and I find the toner too expensive, I show them a picture of the online price of toner from Staples and they match the price however the highest capacity toner cartridge costs around $110 and I purchase three a month even printing at 15% toner reduction. I think if you are a beginner and don’t have high-volume you might be able to get away with using the generic toner but for high-volume operations you are better off going with genuine toner. All office supplies are tax-deductible so why not use the best tools you can afford?

I only print dual side for signing instructions that are for me alone and on e-checks. The Borrower copy is single side because they have to be swapped sometimes in case of a signing error and printing dual-sided is too time consuming.

I want to add a small travel printer for the little projects that pop up like a Quit Claim or Loan conversion while on the road however I too have concerns that the type of roads in my service area are too rough for lugging printers in the car with me.

My question to other Brother printer users is whether they get wrinkled pages? I used to think it had to do with high volume printing and overheating of the fuser, or perhaps the moisture content of the paper, but now I think it has to do with not adjusting the paper trays after adding paper or possibly not closing the drawer properly to the drum when freeing a paper jam? I sometimes switch off the printer for a number of hours prior to printing but that isn’t always an option. Any thoughts?

You may want to check out Printers for Notaries - TotalPrint USA

Immediate turnoff for me:

" * You only pay for what you print. If you do not print anything during the month, you only pay for the monthly rental of the machine. No minimums or certain amount of prints are required."

Also of concern - do these printers and copiers have memory in them? If so, the borrowers’ private info is stored - main reason why FedEx/Kinkos or any other third-party site should not be used for printing loan documents.

Off-notary-topic here, but, I worked for a law firm that did nothing but lease machines (granted many years ago) - it did not go well for a variety of reasons.

IMO if you can afford to pay a monthly rental and print fee to a third party, you can afford to pay for a printer of your own (not you specifically, you in general). Get a decent printer and maintain borrowers’ privacy.

JMO

1 Like