Borrower signed at a notary signature line

what do you do with this?
on grant deed, the borrower signed where I would sign… i crossed out and initialled and resigned

Crossing out with a single line, resigning, and the notary initialing the change is reasonable. Since a grant dead is one of the most important documents in a package, it would be nice to have a spare unsigned copy of that page and do it over, but that isn’t always possible.

that is what I did but the company is requesting another acknowledgement and scanback then mailback. frustrating as this is an additional 20-30 min of my time and I feel what I did was right. crossed through it, initialed it and then signed under it.

Should have taken borrowers’ copy and had them resign correctly and notarize that one - leave them the page that had the mistake.

If company is not happy with how you handled it, it’s on you to make them happy. And IMO no, crossing out a signature on your cert and signing yourself over it or above it is not correct. At the least you should have lined through the incorrect cert and attached a clean cert of your own - as Ashton said “a grant dead is one of the most important documents in a package,” - you don’t mess with that document.

Unfortunately you cut corners and now it’s going to end up costing you more time…this correction is on your dime.

3 Likes

It’s always up to the receiving party as to whether they will accept the correction, even though you did correct it according to general notary standards. If you didn’t have another copy to redo the signing, then you did what you could do. I make it a habit to make a full copy of a loan package for the borrower for just that situation. I want to send as clean a document as I can. However, I’ve had situations with GNW that the signer just couldn’t follow directions and there was not another copy to use.

1 Like

I’m almost always required to provide a full copy of the docs for the client…Its instances like this when I’m glad I did.
I also use SIGN HERE stickers and show the client where to sign

well I lost $$ on that signing as they didn’t accept my correction. had to redo it and send original so they withdrew $20 from my signing fee.

This is why I ALWAYS print a client copy of whatever is being signed, even if I’m not required to. Mistakes happen and I like to have that extra copy to pull from. And it makes it seem like I’m giving great customer service by showing up with a printed copy. Even when the client has the documents emailed to them, they usually thank me for the printed copy.