California Remote Notary Law? Please Help

Message from Matt Miller CA notary:

Remote notarization is not the law in CA. AB199 has not even made it to committee. I killed the same bill in the senate judiciary committee last year (AB2368). Alex Padillia’s office is against it and so is the gov’s office.

The push now is to amend the current civ code to read, “all notarial acts occurring in the state of CA must be conducted by a California notarial officer, in person, remotely or otherwise.” The state of Iowa has already made similar amendments to make remote notarization illegal in their state thus kicking out, out of state notaries.

I wanted to reach out to you so that you wouldn’t feel excluded. I’ve already got the CA Bar, the CA Judges Assoc, the CA Assoc of Notaries, and many, many law firms, small businesses and private citizens onboard. The opposition will move ahead, with or without you. The choice is yours.

CA will/is allowing remote notarization? Wow! Agree with poster’s opinions.

A message of correction from Matt Miller

No, remote notarization is not the law in CA. AB199 has not even made it to committee. I killed the same bill in the senate judiciary committee last year (AB2368). Alex Padillia’s office is against it and so is the gov’s office. The push now is to amend the current civ code to read, “all notarial acts occurring in the state of CA must be conducted by a California notarial officer, in person, remotely or otherwise.” The state of Iowa has already made similar amendments to make remote notarization illegal in their state thus kicking out, out of state notaries. I wanted to reach out to you so that you wouldn’t feel excluded. I’ve already got the CA Bar, the CA Judges Assoc, the CA Assoc of Notaries, and many, many law firms, small businesses and private citizens onboard. The opposition will move ahead, with or without you. The choice is yours.

Whew! Was afraid I’d just seen a 180 degree turnaround from CA’s previous position on this. Particularly LIKE “all notarial acts occurring in the state of CA must be conducted by a California notarial officer, in person, remotely or otherwise”.
Leaving out ‘remotely’ opens the door to a one-stop sweat shop…could be anywhere that allows remote notarization…leaving the state’s own notaries twisting in the wind. Very glad you corrected the last post.

2 Likes

Sorry I scared you guys!

I’ve been receiving buzz from customers who want it so I thought it was coming to fruition when I read the bill passed in error. I’m grateful for Matt’s email last night out of the blue.

Who is Matt Miller. The phrase “I killed the same bill in the senate judiciary committee last year” suggests he is a California State Senator.

I don’t think amending the civil code to say “all notarial acts occurring in the state of CA must be conducted by a California notarial officer, in person, remotely or otherwise" will help much. Those other states like Virginia will claim that if the signer is in CA and the notary is a VA notary, located in VA, then the notarial act occurs in VA, not CA. It would be better to add something like this:

If a notarial act requires a person to appear before a notarial officer, and either the person who is required to appear, or the notary, is physically located in the State of California, then the notarial act must be conducted by a California notarial officer. A person who is not a California notarial officer who purports to act as a notarial officer for a notarial act where the person required to appear is physically within the State of California shall be guilty of a class x misdemeanor and subject to not more than x days imprisonment, a fine of no more than $xxxx, or both. Exceptions: this provision shall not apply to a person authorized by US federal law to perform the notarial act, nor by a notary of a recognized American Indian tribe who is located physically located in California.

1 Like

Ummm… what would a CA notary be doing sitting in VA in front of a computer screen?

I would feel much better about this if it didn’t include the words “remotely or otherwise”. (I’m not sure what “otherwise” could mean, but I guess it never hurts to cover all the bases!) I don’t think remote notarizations conducted within the state by a CA notary would be any more secure than ones conducted elsewhere. IMO, ‘personal appearance’, physically face-to-face, has always been a critical element of fraud prevention that notarizing is intended to prevent.

1 Like

Matt wrote an explanation on Patch.com a copy I’m printing and linking to here:

To: Your CA Assemblyman / Senator

Subject: Opposition to AB 199 (Calderon) - California Online Notary Act of 2019

Dear: Honorable Your CA Assemlyman / Senator

See https://patch.com/california/san-francisco/oppose-ab-199-california-online-notary-act-2019

I am a California resident, and I oppose the webcam and electronic notary bill for the reasons stated below. Please vote “NO” on AB 199 - Electronic Notarization Laws.

AB 199, if passed, will compromise notarial acts and ruin the careers of tens of thousands of notaries public. It will also burden small businesses already conducting electronic notarizations (“e-notarizations”).

The only purpose of AB 199 is to benefit a few high-tech companies by legalizing webcam notarizations (e.g., allowing the use of audio or video conferencing technology and recordings when performing notarial acts) and thus creating a governmentally sanctioned monopoly.

Why you must vote “NO” on AB 199:

Point 1- AB 199 permits “video and audio” recording as an acceptable method for identifying the signer. The use of webcam notarization will compromise notarial acts. Audio/Video can be created from anywhere by any means. The requirement that the signer be physically present is the basis of every notarial act and is necessary to ensure a valid notarization. A failure to require the physical presence of the signer contradicts the California Civil Code, which requires the signer to appear personally before the notary.

A notary’s duty is to ensure that the signer is competent, is not being coerced, and is signing the document freely and willingly. How can a notary using a webcam to perform a notarial act for an elderly person (for instance) ensure that the signer has not been coerced into signing a will or power of attorney by a criminally-minded family member or health care provider? The source of coercion may be present in the same room or nearby but not visible to the webcam notary. Furthermore, how can a notary ensure that an identification card has not tampered with without actually physically inspecting it? It cannot be done.

Point 2 - Economic Impact to the State. Notarize.com 's CEO, Pat Kinsel, located in the commonwealth of Virginia, has openly stated that by states not giving additional thought to policies of economic impact they will certainly (not maybe) be able to extract out of California $250 Million per year if Notarize.com only gets a conservative 25% share of the market. How so? Pat Kinsel of Notarize.com is calling the notary industry a $30 Billion Industry. Quick math says that California should see about a billion dollars of notarizations, then. If Notarize.com captures only 25% of the business that would be $250 Million. At the rate of $25 per remote notarization, the result is a $250 million loss to the California economy. Now, suppose that Notarize.com 's enterprise also has Texas and Nevada notaries, who launched remote notarization July 1, 2018, working on California notarizations as well. The result is the pie being cut up even more. This could apply to other remote notarization vendors like NotaryCam.com , also located in the commonwealth of Virginia, causing even greater losses to the California economy.

Point 3 - California already has electronic notarization laws in place under the California Uniform Electronic Transactions Act. The use of the electronic notarization law under the CUET Act is serving the purpose for Californians and makes it affordable for California notaries and businesses to perform electronic notarizations using any technology the parties agree upon without government interference or regulations. AB 199 micromanages the electronic notarization process and is designed to benefit high-tech companies. There is no need for expensive, complex high-tech equipment as required by AB 199.

Point 4 - Issues of Liability and Responsibility. Is California okay with vendors operating a $250 Million business in California while disclaiming all liability and requiring “hold harmless” agreements? Visit their websites and read the terms of use, it’s interesting to say the least. Are we okay with companies conducting business within the borders of California not being liable, but the private citizen and notaries are? Are they aware that they are blatantly ignoring the jurisdiction of the courts?

Point 5 - AB 199 will affect the ability of tens of thousands of notaries and small businesses to earn a living. Webcam notarizations bound by the technology required in this bill will eliminate the need for thousands of notaries in the State of California, notaries who are your constituents. AB 199 will allow only a few high-tech companies to perform remote notarizations from a few remote locations (similar to call centers). Due to new requirements under this bill, individual notaries will not be able to afford to develop a similar technology. The market will be monopolized by a handful of technology companies.

Point 6 - This bill calls for a maximum fee of $25 for performing an e-notary act (a highly profitable business for webcam notarization companies); yet, California notaries are limited to $15 fees for paper notarial acts. This bill will contribute to ageism and classism. Online notary services appeal to the young and affluent. If these online notary companies take over the notary business, millions of Californians will be disenfranchised.

Based on the facts above, you can see the imminent harm that will be caused to notarial acts performed in this state, to your California notary constituents, businesses and to the public at large. If you can’t be persuaded against this harmful bill and the stringent technology requirements, please amend this bill and stipulate in this bill that:

• Notarial acts performed for signers physically located in the state of California must be conducted by a CA notary, in person, remotely or otherwise.

Thank you for your time. PLEASE vote “NO” on AB 199.

Best regards,

The concern is the VA notary who communicates by webcam with the CA signer, does a notarization, and claims it isn’t a CA notarization, it’s a VA notarization, so CA laws don’t apply.

mmm… you’re right! The ‘deep pockets’ companies that will benefit by this do tend to twist words to get their way, don’t they? Many good points made in letter opposing this bill. If you’re in CA, you owe it to yourself (and honestly, notaries everywhere will cheer) to write your Congresspersons encouraging this bill’s quick death. I really mean it…WRITE…because, in this internet age, it sounds good to the unthinking person. Make 'em THINK.

1 Like

Please note, Matt Miller just responded to my inquiry confirming that the National Notary Association (NNA) is behind this through Notarize.com. I just canceled my membership after they acted dumb when I phoned last week about it prior to renewal. Today I called to cancel and after being apologetic to my claim, transferred me over to resolution department where the woman could no longer listen to the facts that they backstabbed California notaries who have been loyal paying members for years. She hung up!

Here’s the email response from Matt Miller, organizer of opposing AB199

Hey Cheryl, great work! I need all the help I can get. The NNA is the enemy, they are in the back pocket of notarize.com and do not reflect the interests of their members. I canceled my membership early last year after they basically told me that my concerns are not theirs.
Matt Miller
Notary Public / Owner
Matt Miller Mobile Notary

1 Like

Thanks for all the comments. Here are a few more reasons we need to kick out the out of state notaries.

Virginia notaries are not required to undergo any training, exam, or background check and are not required to purchase a bond. Virginia touts itself as a “self-certifying” state.

Texas notaries are not required to undergo any training, exam, or background check. But they do have to purchase a $10k bond payable to the governor.

So now, we have notaries remotely coming into CA from TX and VA performing notarial acts for Californians who haven’t even been trained and tested on their own state’s laws let alone ours.

Basically all that time, work and money that you and I put in to become a notary in CA means bupkis to them. This should be a point of contention for any CA notary based solely on the need for an even playing field. Out of state Notaries performing notarial acts in the state of CA should at least be mandated to carry a bond and be background checked.

What are your thoughts???

-Matt Miller

Out-of-state…any state…notaries should not be doing notarizations for a state that is not where they are physically present. I don’t care how well-trained they are (or aren’t), right now there are just too many grey areas and potential laws made up by people who have no idea what’s at stake.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. So can we count on your support?

Here is an article I wrote last year that may help you when spreading the word:

Remote Online Notary(RON) will be coming. We will not know how soon. Some states will only let the notary in that state notarize a document if the property is in that state. ie: CA property CA notary.
Virginia notary’s can notarize all over the world. There are a lot of requirements that can be added for this to happen.
The CA Secretary of State does not want to do as of last year because they said the cost to upgrade of their current computer system would cost to much.
The goal is not to make it the wild west of notaries. The process is very secure for the consumer and the notary. CA has some hurdles to get over before they can go forward.

1. Statute say only one journal (online will need an online journal)
  2. Thumbprints are required on specific notarization. (Can not do online)
  3. Personal appearance. You can have that either way. Just not physical appearance. Depends on how you define that.
  4. Notary Stamps - You would have two stamps - one for paper notarization and one for one line.
  5. As notaries, you could expand your coverage. You are in San Diego and the signer is in San Francisco. With RON you will be able to do that notarization.
  6. The state could require you to be a notary for a specific time before you can be an online notary.
  7. Notaries need to know that in the mortgage industry they will not allow skype, facetime, facebook. There are specific requirements for a RON System.

These are just a few thinks to think about.

Hi Jessie. Will WWIII happen soon as well?

By the very virtue of your ignoring relevant aforesaid statements here, your convenience mindset seeks to sit in a chair stealing business from local notaries who travel to client destinations. You are pushing the limits of sanity since the consequences to notaries have been made very clear to you. There already are Enotaries laws in place and to take any further is sabotage of thousands of incomes here.

No we can’t have out of state notaries taking CA State tax revenue and business from locals. You’ll have to figure out how to make a living without stealing revenue from us here. Because this isn’t your state you really have no say of laws in California. This is my native state and your argument is without merit because you are desperate to profit from California. That’s criminal.

Go get a real job and stop scheming to get rich on us because nothing is ever enough for you apparently.

So again, I hear WWIII is on its way too. When? More likelihood sooner than you think. How does it feel Jessie?

Jessie…you ‘joined’ 2 hrs before this post…and you’re an authority now. I don’t think you have a clue as to the issues here for consumers.

Jesse, you are part of the stakeholder alliance of this bill and a corporate spy.

Oppose AB 199 knows who you are and we will fight to expose your fraud.