Collecting fees for general notary work

What methods do some of you use to collect your fees? Does anyone do cash only? If not, what do you use to collect if someone wants to pay by credit or debit card? I will be a mobile notary, so I don’t have a fixed location for doing business. Thanks.

I only take cash. I require ‘prior appointment’ and that’s when they’re told ‘cash only’. It hasn’t ever been a problem (tho’ once or twice, I followed them to the closest ATM).
However, think I’m in a minority as many use Square and the like, which allow you to take credit cards on your phone wherever you are. Google it.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I am inclined to do cash only, at least for now, I think. The fees are low to begin with, so why hand over a portion to someone for credit card processing.

I take all forms of payment. Any fees associated with processing credit/debit card I pass along to the customer, but I let them know up front there will be a processing fee. If they offer a check, I will take it, but I process it there with mobile deposit to my account and I often hand the check back to them, because it’s been accepted by my bank on the spot. But, do whatever is most comfortable for you.

2 Likes

I don’t do a lot of general notary work, but along with cash I will accept payment PayPal, Venmo and Cash App. A lot of younger people prefer paying this way, and I’ve had a few escrow officers and signing companies pay me this way when they are late and I demanded immediate payment.

1 Like

Ditto. Cash, Venmo, Paypal for general notary work. Haven’t felt inclined to invest in Square as of yet.

For many cash is passé! Young people introduced me to Venmo, Cash App and Zelle. They are all great. Younger people don’t carry cash! It’s all apps.We have to move with times and read the signs of the Times and not be old farts when it comes to payment.

1 Like

I just got cash app. The Law firm Firm wanted to pay me before I did the work. I told him no, wait until I get the job done. However, I didn’t scan back until I got paid…Easy as pie

I tell the customer up front that cash is preferred, and that there will be an additional 4% processing fee for credit cards. I use Square. I do like Tisino’s idea regarding checks.

I strongly urge my peers NOT to return the checks to the issuer/payer.

If a check is dishonored, even a small claims court will require the original draft as evidence to file a claim.

HWB.

1 Like