Considering becoming a signing agent in Massachusetts

Hi all,

I have worked in the mortgage industry for over 30 years. I have received notice that I will be laid off after almost 12 years in my present position, at the end of the month. I am considering a change and like the idea of being my own boss. I’m sure I will have more questions, but I can’t seem to find a definitive answer regarding Massachusetts laws regarding signing agents. If I get all of the proper certification, could I be a signing agent in Massachusetts? Is it limited to refi’s?
Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!

No. You must work under the direct supervision of an attorney. You can’t do them as an independent contractors like many other states - Massachusetts deems this function UPL - Unauthorized Practice of Law.

Here’s a link to an NNA article about state restrictions.

Here’s another link to the explanation of the Executive Order that imposed that restriction on Notaries…you’ll have to do your own research to get further info on this using the info in the order

Now…that said - do notaries do them in Massachusetts? Yes they do…but they’re not supposed to unless they work for the lender or under direct supervision of an attorney.

Linda H.,

Thank you for your quick response.

It doesn’t look like I can look forward to making a living as a signing agent in Mass. then, What a shame.