Do you have a business license?

Anyone out there actually doing the job without a business license? Not your notary certification - an actual business license with a UBI?

1 Like

A business license is not required where I live. A registration of a fictitious business name, also known as “doing business as” or “DBA” is not required for me because I use my own name.

There are benefits to having a business license. For accounting - having a business account at the bank prevents comingling business earnings and expenses with personal funds, which makes preparing taxes much easier. Here in WA the state fee is one time and minimal. How about elsewhere?

they want like $100 a year here in Orlando

I have a business license, but it’s not required to do notary work in Florida. I decided that because I do so much more than notary work, I would incorporate for accounting purposes. With a business account, I can provide a W-9 with a FEIN, have a separate bank account, and keep all correspondence separate. This helps at the end of the year, but also protects my personal information from being breached, such as soc sec number, date of birth, etc.

1 Like

All very good reasons! I haven’t incorporated yet, but am considering forming an S corp. And yes, protecting my personal information is the main reason I have a business license and an EIN.

1 Like

I’m in Florida - my county requires it.

Hi Linda, Depending on what you’re doing, I guess, but I’m under the impression that just GNW or even signings is a service & no license necessary. I am certain my county doesn’t require because I called FL DOR in the beginning, as well as FL DBPR & my local entities. As an accountant, I’d like to know what county requires licenses for this type work so i can be sure my clients know. Thank you & best wishes.

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter what state you live in everyone operating a business has to have a business license. What ot depends on is if you are in a “city limits” our in a “unincorporated” portion of a county. They all want their fees. It depends where you are based, such as me, I am at home in a city limits, my fee is $19 because there is only me. If you want to open a business account the bank will require the business license. If the business has your name in it like mine “The THORNE Group” I don’t need a ficticious name statement. If it is “Southwest Notaries” you would be required one and you have to renew it every 5 years and it hase to be published in a weekly paper for 4 weeks in a row and then filed with the county clerk. It’s very costly. I say keep it simple. I have been doing this since 1983. Becareful when converting to an S-Corp. Some states require an annual fee whether you make any money or not. California is $800.

Requirements vary in different states, cities, counties, etc. In Vermont, in my town, I don’t need a business license and my credit union was perfectly happy to open a business account for me.

Ashton is right…all states vary; I live in unincorporated portion of the county - still need a business license to run my business, which is my name, Notary Public.

My Credit Union will give me an account but if it’s a business account there’s a monthly fee and per check/debit fee; an account in just my name was free…

Yeah I do, otherwise I can’t run my business legally.

A business license is required if you want to have success in what you’re doing and don’t have problems with the authorities.

I can’t agree with zacchsai350. Rules about business licenses vary from place to place. Some places they are required, some places they are not.

Yes, I know about that, but most of the times you will need one. It’s better to check it before you start, so you better make one if it’s required. He is an article with all the information required https://licensecost.com/maine-business-license-cost/, where you can see how to get a license and how much it cost. I am living in the US, so here in most of the states you need to have a business license, so everyone is applying for it.