Electronic and Remote Notarizations

I live in Michigan. I’ve been a Signing Agent for just over 20 years and the last year has been my busiest ever. It has recently become legal to do electronic and remote notarizations in Michigan. They allow the following vendors and won’t recommend or give more info about them other than what is listed here. Does anyone have advice of input on this? I’m not sure that I want to do this, but I want to know enough to make a decision about it.

E-Mortgage Law – Offers electronic notarizations services
Nexsys – Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
Pavaso – Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
NotaryCam - Offers both electronic and remote notarization services
Notarize - Offers electronic and remote notarization services

Here in Washington it isn’t allowed, not yet anyway. I’m still on the fence with remote notarizations.

Doesn’t this literally go in the face of what notarizing is? I don’t get it. This is not SUPPOSED to be convenient. You are presenting yourself to someone to verify your identity. How do we do that electronically? Too much room for fraud and error. I wouldn’t accept it. there are enough people that are notaries that this shouldn’t be a thing.

1 Like

I also live in Michigan and have registered to do RON with all. I haven’t done one yet, because most title company’s are not doing them yet. Which is ok with me because I am happy to do traditional and hybrid.

1 Like

They did this in Florida and to become a RON you have to take a new test $20.00, increase your Bond & E&O and have a special encrypted program for documents. You need to find a RON Provider who will video and record the transactions and you as the RON will need to have a secure computer and encryption on a laptop…oh yeah you can ONLY charge $25.00
You can keep it