Extra Certificates in MD

Hi Friends,

I have heard a lot of suggestions that a Notary should always carry extra certificates with them in case there is not one on the instrument being executed, and/or the first one is botched or whatever.

But I’ve also heard that, in MD, it’s unlawful for a Notary to carry extra certificates with them.

Anyone know the certain answer to this question and have a source to point me to?

Thanks!

I know you are looking for information for MD, but I am in* Florida* and had this question. Advance warning. I am new and have not yet done a signing. I am a perfectionist and so I am a little concerned about going and messing something up. But this seemed like good advice. Anyone with other thoughts please chime in!

I called the NNA hotline as the training stated to carry the forms but also stated never alter the document. The response was great. They stated the following:

1. check the written laws for your state.

2. some companies out of state with loan signings in your state may have incorrect wording or no wording when needed. In this situation when state law allows, the loan signing company is the next source for if the document should be altered. Before doing the signing clarify the “IF” with them. Many companies understand the wording must be changed at times and are OK with it, but others are strictly a “No”. If they are OK it might be just adding or crossing out a few words, but only change the notary information to make it legal for your state.

3. If you mess up a document pull the blank identical document from the copy you are leaving with the customer 1st. Just cross out that it is a bad copy and leave it with the customer. If you mess up again then use the extra document, you brought with you.

My question to all of this is should I use an embosser and emboss the last page and my added page to show the documents belong together?

Hi James. I am a MD, DC and VA notary and you are correct. We can’t use loose leaf certs for MD notarizations. https://www.nationalnotary.org/notary-bulletin/blog/2015/04/when-use-loose-certificate

Thank you, Esther! I really appreciate you!