Frustrations of a new NSA

Hello all - it’s my first post since joining Notary Cafe last month. I’ve seen so much great information in all of the discussions I have read, but I’m frustrated on several levels:

Pricing: I read with interest (and approval) the topic about how we have the “Golden Ticket,” and how we should make a practice of not accepting those crummy lowball offers. I’ve turned down HANDFULS of C2C signings in recent weeks, via SnapDocs, always countering with a more reasonable price (considering they are ALWAYS last minute, or 9pm on a Friday night appointments, etc). And those jobs always get snatched up. So I’m losing out on “experience points,” and after a while, those $50 checks would eventually add up to a decent chunk of change. So I feel like I’m shooting myself in both feet by being a newbie with STANDARDS.

Getting work: Good lord, are ANY of these signing companies reputable? I’ve joined what feels like a dozen (but in reality it’s probably 4) lists / services, some of them I learned of through this forum, and I have not heard a PEEP back from anyone. America’s Notary Pro still hasn’t even approved my registration after 2 weeks. Another one contacted me via email and then wanted me to pay a monthly subscription to be on their list. SnapDocs ONLY sends me C2C offers, which have been averaging a measly THIRTY DOLLARS. The one job I responded yes to, for $75, suddenly went up to $115 (even though I did not counter-offer), and then went to someone else, even though I literally clicked on “available” as soon as it came in (phone was in my hand when it came through). And C2C hasn’t paid me for the stupid $50 job I did on Aug 6th (I know they have 30 days, but I’m annoyed-in-advance after reading so many experiences with non-payment from them). I’ve joined Notary Rotary, this forum, Notary Dash, the NNA. I requested to join a Notary2Pro Facebook page about a month ago and no one has responded. I’m really not thrilled about the prospect of paying subscriptions or fees to be on lists / groups. I’ve combed the conversations about “best / worst companies to work for” and those are also so discouraging. Seems like they’re ALL the worst, or you have to have 20 years experience to be considered. I have FULL RESPECT for people who’ve been at this a lot longer than I have…FULL. But…I mean…those of us with 4 years as a notary aren’t exactly chopped liver. Why do so many companies turn their noses up at us?

I’m in north San Diego County, been a commissioned California notary for a total of 4 years (with a 2 year break in the middle of that for an overseas military duty station). Spouse of a retired US Marine. I’ve had a little niche business on my local base for those 4 years, as “the neighborhood notary,” honing my craft, handling POA, auto titles from various states, and helping my military neighbors get through closing packets faxed from all over the country for out of state real estate transactions. I’m ready to get out there and put these skills to work.

I know you’re all probably sick to death of doling out advice to the new kids, but if you’re not, any tips / words of wisdom would be GRATEFULLY welcomed.

Sincerely,
Amy S.

It’s hard, but please don’t put yourself in the bargain bin. Even $75 is a bargain as you saw when somebody got it at $115. Eventually you’ll get the opportunity to prove your worth. As to the ‘why’—they’ve worked with the other person/s and are happy, but at some point, you WILL get a job AT A PROFITABLE FEE. There are just too many notaries and not enough work to keep them all busy. Simple as that.

To put it politely and bluntly - you need to get busy and sign up with a boatload more - you say you joined Notary Rotary - okay…put on that marketing hat, go to NotRot, click on Signing Central and start contacting each and every company in that list rated at 3 stars or more…and I do mean each and every,signing up with maybe 4 listing sites isn’t going to do it for you.

Now, as for SD - don’t blame SD for a company’s fees or nonpayment - SD is only a platform the companies use…SD has nothing to do with the fees the companies pay. It’s up to you to find the good companies, get to them, block the low pay ones - and btw, all that info is on NotRot in Signing Central too.

As for the $50 jobs adding up to something - if you’re operating at a loss on $30-$50 jobs all you’re doing is going deeper in the red every time you do one of these jobs. Figure your operating expenses, set a fee you’re comfortable with and stick to it.

Good luck

2 Likes

Thank you Arichter. I appreciate your reply. I guess I know it will happen ‘eventually,’ but I’m just impatient. I got drawn in by all that “you can earn $250 per signing!” hype when I went back to get recommissioned. :joy:

I know everyone says to not take those cheap jobs, but I beg to differ. Alhough I don’t take them now, they were the exact jobs I started with. Why? Because if I messed up, it wasn’t a major disaster. I would put a limit on the distance I traveled for those $50 seller packages, for instance. If I was new, I might not travel more than 5 miles or so for $50. Then, when I felt confident, I would start eliminating those. I would rather make a newbie mistake on one of those than on the good paying ones.

You will get to know which to take and which not to. But that will come with experience…ya gotta get it somewhere!

I know most people wouldn’t agree, but when you start a business, you gotta take what you can get. After a while, you figure what works for your business and what doesn’t. Thankfully, this is an inexpensive business to start in comparison with other business startups, so there is some flexibility there.

4 Likes

Yea, I was one who took low ball offers at first, not aware of what I can really make in this industry. Nonetheless, the low ball assignments were important for my NSA experience. I counter offer all of what is sent to me from SnapDocs, NotaryGo, Universal Notary, etc. Once in a while, signing companies will work with my counter offer, and it’s all good. I know my worth now.

Marketing yourself is crucial as well. Craigslist, Facebook, Instagram, business cards, visiting Title Companies, Escrow Companies, attorney offices, etc. all have helped me gain business. Networking is amazing.

Good luck!

Hi Amy,
I also accepted lower prices from signing companies in the beginning, but not less than $100 and usually more. That was 10 years ago! It’s crazy the low offers mentioned now. It’s an insult. You are a commissioned public official of the state and deserve to be paid appropriately.

It’s possible you may prefer general notary/direct work as I do. It cost more for a notary in CA, $15 for each notarized signature. Remember that. My “minimum” local job up to 5 miles away is $40 including my mobile fee, and I don’t print anything! That’s also just one notarized signature and one journal entry. It’s usually less, especially for business clients, but I always allow up to an hour for each appointment. I also do trust signings for attorneys, and that’s usually $100 or more, and again, no printing. The marketing is no different. You have to go after the work and build a reputation, as in any business. It helps to be a people person and enjoy your work. Over time you will also get repeat customers. Hope this helps!
Regards,
Angela

1 Like