Has anyone looked into leasing a printer rather than buying one?

I am looking into buying a printer as Ive been using my office printer through my other business but am leaving that office and so will have to print from home. Has anyone considered leasing a printer instead of buying one?
With a lot of the leases they include maintenance, ink, and up to 4-5k in black and white printing a month for a 39 month term… I would just pay the monthly charge and paper.

Anyone one have any good advice on this? The decision is stressing me out…

Hello homesby Mira, I have not calculate the cost for lease vs buying. If it works for you, why not try it, you be able to write the expense during tax time.

Think about this - here’s your focus

1. Will the 4-5k/month limit be sufficient to accommodate the number of signings you do each month;
  2. What is the monthly charge? You’re probably going to be locked into a contract, so what will be the total paid over 39 months? I’d bet my last dollar if you do that math you’ll find you can buy one heck of a nice printer for far less/
  3. What if - you decide to close your business before the 39 months? Is there an “early-out” clause? An “early-out” fee? What is that fee, if any?

Do that math - and that’s your answer. I’ve worked in offices that rented printers - my personal preference is to own my own.

Good luck with your decision

2 Likes

Linda hit the nail on the head. I think you’d need a pretty lucrative business to have a leased printer really pay off.

Leasing was the better option for me and I think the better option if you will do this full time. I went through 2 home office printers before I started leasing and it was a hassle. I lease a large printer and the toner is included and unlimited. All the service/repairs are included. So now I only purchase the paper. I pay about 60 per month for the lease on a used printer and then I pay per page I print which helps them incur the cost of the service. I have never paid over 150.00 total in a month. I had previously burned out the 2 printers at the worst possible time and the toner expense was very expensive. Now I just order the toner when I get the low toner notification and it is overnighted to me. Research a couple of companies to get the best deal and try to go local so that if you need a repair, you can get someone to your door as quickly as possible. Hope this helps.

1 Like

buy a brother 2230 or 2270 and a brother dcp-L2540 DW or similar MFC–buy laser powder in bulk–buy laser cartridges on amazon—probably 10 times cheaper than renting

1 Like

Thanks everyone this helped ALOT

When I first started, I leased the printer from Xerox. It seemed like a good idea. But, as time wore on, I found myself paying for toner & paper outweighed the cost of owning the printer outright & buying the supplies as needed.
Now, I still use a Xerox, But have purchased the printer & do not have to but the toner or paper from them. I also, do not have to pay for the copies. The nice thing is that I get to write all this off at the end of the year, where I was not able to that before.

I considered it. I went all the way up to the point of signing. However, to get the lease to the point where the price was feasible, I would have had to commit to a 3-year term. Should the market change (e-docs, etc) or drop, I would have had to keep making that same payment regardless of my print volume. I’ve been in business since 2008 - a lot of ups and downs can happen in 3 years, and sometimes the ability to tighten the belt keeps the doors open. I decided against the lease.

I have considered Cartridge World, but after reading many bad reviews, decided not to go that route.