How are notaries handling closing package when you entire state is on lockdown?

Please mention state. And how many closings you have done since the virus

Iā€™ve been being very flexible and careful. Iā€™ve been doing signings outside with gloves and a mask as well as in garages and in one case a barn.

Some title companies even suggest doing signings though the doors or windows while actually watching the signers sign or using Skype, WhatsApp or Duo for some others.

Just be as careful as you can while still keeping within the guidelines of your state.

Iā€™m in Pennsylvania and am actually doing MORE than normal. I have done at least 50 since the stay-at-home order was in place.

As it stands right now this would be illegal in Florida - unless an Executive Order comes down approving this method. Some companies are also saying ā€œjust drop the pkg on the doorstep, theyā€™ll take it inside, sign and return it to doorstep, notary retrieves, checks docs, notarizes and stamps where neededā€ - this is a huge no-no ā€“

Both illegal right now for 2 reasons (1) notary must be in physical presence of signer and (2) notary must notarize in front of signer.

2 Likes

In Colorado we too are on ā€˜Stay at Homeā€™ orders, but are also considered part of essential services. Gloves, masks, and hand sanitizers are common sense safety precautions. I even request use their own blue pens if available.
What has been surprising is how nice people have been- making sure tables are wiped down, making, providing a space large enough to be 5-6 feet apart.

• I put stickies on the documents which need special instructions and place the signing package with them and encourage them to ask questions. Most people want to do this as quickly as possible. Good luck.
4 Likes

Iā€™m in Texas and Iā€™ve done 3 signings since the ā€œshelter in placeā€ orders were implemented. Iā€™m not doing anything special other then not shaking hands.

I have MS Iā€™m in NY and Iā€™m not doing any d Signings in person Yes we are essential but these title companies are not on the front lines we are and after going to a few house I decided personally to not take the risk. Especially since Gov Cuomo has offer us the chance to do RON I got my digital certificate now just waiting for Sen Warner SECURE Bill to pass.
But I think this is a personal decision for each notary but title companies canā€™t offer $30-75 for us to risk our lives!

1 Like

Iā€™m in Pa also. We have been barred from doing signing since the Governor put out the non essential list. We have to go by our NAICS # which falls under the legal group/real estate so were are under The Stay At Home order and have been since the beginning. They have finally clarified this on our SOS site. Beside that, it is illegal in Pa. to use Skype or Facetime,etc. That has not changed. Please be careful and Stay Home.

When I say using Skype or WhatsApp, Iā€™m referring to being at the personā€™s home, watching them through the door or window and only using the app to speak to them or answer questions so they can show me where they are asking the question about since even in the best of times my eyesight cannot see writing from 6+ feet away. Iā€™m not doing it from my home office or any place that I can not physically see the signer as they sign, Thus, I would be able to see if someone were holding a threatening pot of hot water over their head if they donā€™t sign :frowning:

After they have signed, I sit in clear view of them on their patio, porch or steps and re-review the documents and notarize where required so that I stay within the guidelines of Pennsylvania. I have documentation (that I canā€™t place my hand on right now) that indicates Financial/Real Estate transactions are considered essential so I try to accommodate as much as I can while still maintaining the CDC guidelines for safe distancing. Iā€™m doing all that I can (personally & professionally) to stay safe.

The only change Iā€™ve made is that in light of these times, I donā€™t leave the house for anything less than $100.

I am not trying to accuse you or upset you, but we have not been essential since the Governors Order. All you would have to have done or do was call our SOS(717-787-5280) and they would have verified that we were and still are not allowed to do go to homes to do signings. I had called them, the Sec. Of Health, and the DCED. If you go to the DCED website their is information on how to look up a NAICS # which is what the Governors list said to use to determine whether you were essential or non essential. Our # for Notaries is 541199. But the easiest thing to do is call our SOS. They will tell to you to Stay Home. All the Title Companies were sending out letters telling you to carry it with them that you were essential but they cannot override our SOS or Governor. * I just another got another Letter yesterday from Amrock telling me to carry it and it would be ok after the order was clarified on the SOS website that we were barred from doing in-person signings. Companies could care less if you are barred from this. And as you said the CDC guidelines,that is just what they are, Guidelines, but we have to follow our SOS and Governor not CDC or Homeland like the NNA would have you believe. Please just do some research on your own and call. STAY SAFE

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information. I will check it out. Iā€™m always open to learning and clarifying as much as I can. I want to stay within the law but this is Covid19 stuff is something Iā€™ve never seen in my half a century of life on this earth. Have a good weekend and thanks again.

Just an FYI (and Iā€™m not in PA so am just sharing info here that I read elsewhere) - another notary who posted on another site is a PA notary and he/she, too, said the same thing - non-essential

Companies who want to get their loans closed will tell you anything to get that accomplishedā€¦believe only your local/state authorities, both emergency management and SOS.

2 Likes

V
Florida. I cut down to 1 to 2 closings a day. After I print paperwork I tag everyplace that they have to sign or fill in the blanks. I wear mask and gloves and require borrower to wear masks. I sit at least 10 feet apart. If that is not feasible, I will sit on the patio while they are inside and watch them through the patio doors. I provide a blue pen with my info on it, for them to keep and only touch them with rubber gloves. I answer their questions through the patio door and use their set of docs to answer any questions, if needed. How is your business doing are you busy I know I get at least 10 calls a day but again I only do one to two as I donā€™t want to take a chance 2 is enough

Now my question. Can we request funds for being self employed and exposing my self to the customer. Any info on that subject please let me know. I am a 1 person business with a professional business name. Do you have any links on that could you please put that in your reply.

Arlene Mills. Arlcats@aol.com

Gulf coast mobile notary service