How can I find a Law Firm to do Refi's and Cash Outs?

I typed all of this to the owners of the page thinking I was coming to y’all for help/ They probably think I am a ditz. I am having a hard time finding an attorney’s office that will allow me to use an empty room or the conference room for 20 minutes for the fee of $50. to do these signings. It is a state law that these have to be done at a law firm or a title company. You figure me being in such a large area as Houston I would find one. I do have a really sweet couple that has a law firm in Liberty that will allow me to use theirs but people from Katy or Cypress don’t want to drive that far. .I also have one in Texas City but the owner has her own signings so I have to work around her calendar BUT people from Katy or Cypress don’t want to do that drive either, I need one close to downtown. Does anyone know if there is a lawyer referral for stuff like this?

You’re running to clause in the Texas Constitution that prohibits cash out closings taking place outside either a Title Company’s office, an Attorney’s office, or Bank. Most Title Companies won’t cooperate due to a conflict of interest. They see things as helping the competition.

Most Law Firms I’ve spoken in the San Antonio / Austin are reluctant due to liability concerns. If a non-employee or non-client gets hurt they may not be covered by their insurance. The second reason I’ve been given is signing in the law office leaves the impression that the law firm is involved in the transaction. Again, if something goes wrong, they’ll be pulled in.

What we need is a lobbying effort to get the Constitution changed so we can do our jobs.

Best of Luck.

2 Likes

Having to be done at a law firm or title company means the clients are required to have to a lawyer present during the signing for their protection.

You, as an independent contractor, can’t just walk in and rent space. It’s probably illegal for you to do so. Read your State handbook and call them if you need to.

Most law firms do not need outside NSAs - most of their staff is qualified.