How many journal entries do you make?

interesting. I agree but such a painful process that other states seem to allow one line only listing out all documents that were notarized. less time required, less notary journals, etc.

Some states don’t even require a journal, which is crazy to me. Even more crazy than having a separate line item for each doc. Is it a pain in the a**? Absolutely! But for now we just do it, lol… As far as all info on every line, yes, all info is required on every single line because again, if we get a subpoena, it would be for one specific document, so the line for that document would have to have all required info on it.

Also, a signing address is not one of the things we are required to put down.

The chances of you ever getting a subpoena is extremely rare, as long as you are conscientious, and follow your states laws but it could still happen, so I’d rather not have to worry about if mine is right. When we are no longer notaries, we have to turn all our journals into the county clerks office. They can still be used if there is a subpoena and we will still be liable if there is a problem. Meaning you could still be fined.

1 Like

so I put the dl # and exp date but not bdate and issue date on every line. do you put all the details (even those not required) on every line?

You are only required to put DL # and expiration date. The only time you need to put issue date is if it is expired but issued within the last 5 years. Never put the birth date. Yes, you have to put DL # & exp. date on every line.

If you have something in the notes area regarding the signing, I would probably only list that once, like if they have a hard time signing because of arthritis or something, but know what is going on.

1 Like

If you want to contact me by email, it’s Teri.wilson03@gmail.com. I would be happy to help with any kinds of questions you may have. The notifications on here are not very current, lol.

I appreciate the offer/email! I will probably take you up on it. Thanks!

Yes. 1 journal entry per notarization.

1 Like

CA is definitely a no for me for notary work. Wow.

So… if you used NotaryAct would you need to make 1 entry per signature?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Hopefully someone else can answer.

I’m totally new to this. Doing a quick google search I see that NotaryAct is an electronic notary journal. I’ve seen it asked if I can do e-sign on some of the lists I have signed up on. Is this what they are referring to?

Looks like NotaryAct is not accepted in CA.

Its funny but I just read in Ca they don’t require the address of the signer? I still add it on the first entry so I have it on record if called upon. Any others care to comment?

Just a comment but I asked the clerk if they convert the journals into digital format somehow. Nope! They keep the books? So what if you die and there aren’t any surviving spouse/siblings? Just wondering outloud. Who they gonna sue?

I also do this as well.

No. Notary Act is not what they mean by e-sign.

skenton, it’s not about suing anyone. The state will still need your journals in case anyone subpoenas your journal for an entry in it. When we die, someone is supposed to take our journals to the county clerk’s office where we gave our oath. I recently had to do this for a friend of mine who died so her daughter wouldn’t have to. I also have it written down with my important papers, for my children, so they know what to do with them, if I’m still a notary when I die.

1 Like

In the event one of us pass we can log into each others accounts an export the entire log to PDF to print or had over on a cheap USB.

The export includes all the info you need to record in your log + more if they want it.

Like it stated… not big on adding to risk. I prefer to minimize or eliminate it.

Thanks for posting this. In June 2020, I had my first signing it was a sellers packet with 7 notarial acts. I listed all 7 and had the signer sign in my journal he complained that he never did that before and he only signed once. He was a repeat client for the E.O. So after the signing was over he called the EO and told her how many times he had to sign the journal. I told her I was following state laws and she said just write Real Estate Documents and let them sign one time. So that’s what I do along with putting in the description like Warranty Deed, Deed of Trust, E&O, etc.
I had a Refi the other day with husband and wife that had 17 notarial acts. Thank God I remember what example the EO had given me. It would have taken me forever to write all that in the journal. That would have been 34 times :woman_facepalming:t5: So I just put 2 entries husband and wife name and had them sign the journal and listed Real Estate Doc/Title Company Name and listed each document in description. Here in Texas it is illegal to get fingerprint and write down DL# in the journal.

1 Like

some states don’t even REQUIRE a journal although always suggested. i do one entry per person. documents…REFI, PURCH, etc. i have only had to go to court one time and it was not even a real estate transaction. BY THE WAY…what saved me in court? was a child custody/guardianship thing… i ALWAYS take pics of driver license on anything having to do with children/family. i let them know that. judge was glad i had done it and threw her accusal of forgery out of the courtroom.

Bad idea 2mkkennedy - if anyone ever requests a copy of the line item proving your notarization you don’t have it - all you have is REFI or PURCH, etc If you can’t provide it and end up getting called into court you can’t prove under oath you notarized the particular document.

I disagree with this practice too - keeping signers’ PII is a dangerous road to travel; you have no need for this - I know if you were my notary and wanted a pic of my ID I’d show you the door. Safer practice if you’re that concerned with identity? Take their thumbprint - no one can identify them by looking at a thumbprint but they can sure identify them if they ever get their hands on the copy of the ID.

JMO and just some friendly advice.

1 Like

Calif law is rediculous!! I have been doing signings for 5 years. I just found put my journal is illegal in Calif. I have one sig line with boxes to check off for each notorial act. I took a live NSA class in my state and I purchased my journal and all my supplies thru them. They said it was legal because it has all the reqd info for each line. I am still using the same book after all this time. Sometimes I have up to 5 signers with 10-12 notorial acts. That would have been 60 entries!!! Rediculous. The one hour signing then would end up taking 4 hours and sleepy clients if they waited for ne to fill all those lines.