How to handle a Notarial Certificate when the wrong Notarial Clause has been added to a Loan Document

How do you handle a loan document that needs to be notarized and it has the wrong type of clause for the Notarial Act preprinted on the Document. The Wording in the Document clearly indicates it would be an acknowledment but the preprinted Clause states Sworn and Subscribed or the Document clearly indicates it would be a Jurat due to the undersigned first being duly sworn or affirmed, yet the preprinted clause states personally appeared before and whom I have verified through identification, etc. I was instructed early on to attach a loose certificate and indicate on the preprinted document see attached acknowledgement/jurat.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

For all signings I read the document and if says “sworn” anywhere I just give an Oath and that covers all my bases no matter how many times it say Acknowledge and I note that in my journal.

1 Like

I agree, Thomas. “Sworn” in the certificate means I will administer an oath, which means a jurat. Any additional wording is incidental.

1 Like

Hybrid certificates should be checked with title, a jurat or ack can be used…but not your choice…you are not a lawyer

1 Like

Thank you guys for providing feedback, this is something I found on American Society of Notaries an article that addressed this topic, here is an excerpt: (Often, the document appears complete but it displays an incorrectly written notarial certificate. If you can make clear and legible corrections on the notarial certificate to make it useable, draw a single line through the incorrect notarial wording and neatly print the correct wording nearby. Initial any changes that you make.

If the pre-printed notarial certificate is not useable, but you can clearly determine the desired notarial act (oath/affirmation or acknowledgment), you may simply write the correct certificate language by hand, rubber-stamp the correct certificate language if there is room on the document, or attach a loose notarial certificate with the proper wording.)
Just recently this has started coming up on loan docs with a specific company and I just want to make sure I handle properly.
Have a great weekend, stay well and be safe.

The only other thing I would do is check with title company.

1 Like