I need a reliable scanner

ScanSnap is the name of the document scanner.
mine is amodel S1500. I don’t know if they still make that madel.

I recently purchased an Epson ES-300W.

After some research found this one to fit the bill for a Mobile Scanner

Here is why:
I got tired of driving home to do scan backs after an appt when I could have taken another appt.

This unit has an internal battery and internal wifi to connect to the android or iOS Epson smartphone app.

It is very small and folds up into a box shape.

When needed, I open it, power on, launch my phone app, initiate the scanner wifi and connect to my phone, scan the docs to my phone thru the Epson Smartphone app, disconnect the scanner wifi, upload or email the scanned docs, power down the scanner and off to my next appt.

No wires needed (except to charge the internal battery). The scanner can be connected to computer if needed but I wanted a wireless solution to use in my car for scanbacks while out on appointments without the need for a laptop or tablet.

This one works great. Better than I expected. Saves much time and the scanner is very fast in
black and white mode (does color too). Has 25 page auto doc feeder.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from I need a reliable scanner:
I don’t usually have to scan docs back…except today. I tried to scan my docs on my HP and it cut off the legal docs. I had to spend $44 to take them to Office Max. They even had to scan the letter docs separate from the legal docs. Is this normal? Does anyone have any suggestions???

Set your HP scan program to legal size. If I do not do that when I scan from my HP I have the same issue.

Thank you for this tip! I’ve been looking for a scanner with the same features. This sounds like it’s the bomb.com!

If you’re looking for something cheap then IRIScan Book 5 WiFi will fit your needs just fine. It costs only 100 bucks.
However, if you’re spending more than that Epson FastFoto is a reliable one

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions here from all. I have a Brother LC20E, all in one printer. However, a big scan job that I thought I successfully performed bit me in the rear. Lots of my scans were off and I wasn’t aware, because I never got an error message from the scanner. I need to invest in a stand alone scanner that is good quality and can manage lots of pages, various sizes.

Hi, jmpnotary0105.

I have an Epson ES 500W. It’s small enough that it doesn’t take up a huge amount of space on my desk and (for me, anyway) to be portable. It fits in my rolling bag if I need to take it along. I got it refurbished from B&H photo for about $100.00 less than what it would cost brand new. It’s wireless so you can use the Epson app to scan to your phone with no need to connect the scanner or your phone to separate WiFi. It’s very easy to use- just load your docs and push a button. If scanning to your PC, just push the scan button and the software immediately pops up on your screen. Here’s a link if you want to check it out:

https://epson.com/For-Home/Scanners/Document-Scanners/WorkForce-ES-500W-Wireless-Duplex-Document-Scanner/p/B11B228201

2 Likes

mjeverett1968, thank you very much for responding with your suggestion of what you use. I took your advice and researched on the WorkForce ES-500W, lots are satisfied and it is able to scan various sizes, which I need now since my unfortunate work experience. I also did find it refurbished for $100 cheaper than the new price as you did. Appreciate your help! Time to redeem myself…

You’re quite welcome!

1 Like

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I had a question about what software you use with this scanner?

We picked one up last night, and tried to use it for scanbacks, and it started freezing after about 100 pages using the Scansmart software. So I saved the first 100 pages as a pdf. I then scanned the rest of the pages, and when I went to save, the software would just shut down, losing my progress. After a few tries, it allowed me to save, but only as jpg.

I’m just curious if you’re using the stock software, or something else to scan with this product?

Hi, Chris.

I use the software that came with it. I haven’t had any problems like that but to be honest, I have only scanned to my laptop maybe a half a dozen times. It’s just been easier for me to use the Epson Document Scan app on my phone. I hope you are able to get it working soon without too much headache.

Maria

Maria,
Thanks for the reply. I spoke with Epson support today, and they suggested turning off auto naming. I’m going to try to scan my own copy of my refinance package and see if that solves the problem.

On a side note, what resolution should scanbacks be? I used 600dpi for the last two because I was unhappy with the resolution of 300dpi, but that might be me just being picky. 300dpi scans about twice as fast and would save a lot of time.

Definitely look into the Vuescan software, it is a superb set of software that has drivers for pretty much any scanner out there. Its biggest benefit is it compresses the scans so even 200 page documents are normally only 6-7 mb in size. It has a lot of nice features like auto-scew that straightens documents that the scanner pulled in crooked. It has made my scan jobs a LOT easier, I’ll never use a scanner’s factory software again.

Based on your review mjeverett1968 I am now the happy owner of an Epson ES-500W scanner. It works great and even does a great job with my Vuescan software with mixed letter and legal size paper. Thank you!

Quick question for you, does your Ready light continually slow-flash, about one flash every 2-3 seconds? Note I’m not talking about a quick flash that indicates a problem, this is just a steady blue Ready light flash about every 2-3 seconds that never stops. It sits next to my computer screen so it’s kind of an annoying distraction that keeps drawing my eye to it. Otherwise the scanner is working great, thanks for your recommendation!

Still looking or bought dear?

I use Epson ES-300WR. It is amazingly fast and portable.

I use the ScanSnap IX500. It will scan about 50 pages of mixed letter and legal paper. And it will scan paper like sales receipts, drivers license, color magazine pages, and more. Its easy to clear that jam from stapled pages. The scanner connects to your computer via USB but has to own power block.

@1hollowell1 how do you initiate the scanner wifi? I tried using it in my car yesterday but couldn’t figure it out. TIA

1 Like

Can you please let me know how to initiate the wifi scanning in your car?