Info on E-Signing - E-Notarization

More and more states are enacting legislation to provide for electronic commerce and e-notarization, driving the need to ensure that ASN’s members have a good grasp of the fundamentals of being an electronic notary. Whether you choose to become an electronic notary or not, a sound working knowledge of e-notarization basics will be valuable to you.
UETA”
The Uniform Electronic Transactions Act was completed by the Uniform Law Commissioners of the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Law in 1999.
UETA defines “electronic signature” as: “…an electronic sound, symbol, or process attached to or logically associated with a record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record.
What this means: While both UETA and E-SIGN authorized notaries to perform electronic notarizations,

MY Question: How many of you are using E-Signing, and E-Notarization, is the cost different, Please write me to inform me of this process. Thanks Dean

1 Like

I am not using either E-signings or E-Notarizations. It’s expensive to become an Electronic Notary Public in Colorado, not because of the cost of the commission, but because of the annual fee to the company that creates the electronic seal used in this type of transaction. As for E-Signings, even though an Electronic Seal is not required, a Laptop or other electronic device, such as an iPad and the notaries own Hotspot internet connection, or the borrowers internet connection and/or their home computer using their internet connection is required. Documents still have to be printed and wet signed and notarized. And the fee offered by one company that called me to set up training on the new platform was less then $100. It all sounds too complicated, with lots of variables that could be a disaster.

1 Like

How much does it cost?