Is NNA Certification worth it?

Let me preface this by giving you some information about my background:

I’ve been a commissioned notary for approximately 10 years. I’ve always worked full time as a paralegal and also worked in the real estate industry for a time period (administrative role) and being a notary was a requirement by my employers. During this time I’ve done mobile notary and loan signing work on the side for supplemental income but never full time and I’ve never really advertised my services. I also have not worked with any of the signing services. Since I have relationships with people in the real estate industry, those people have connected me with one of the local title companies and that’s where all of my loan signing jobs have come from to date.

Fast forward to now: I was laid off from my actual full-time job because of the 'Rona and my prospects as far as employment goes are pretty bleak because no one is trying to hire right now with this whole pandemic thing. So at this point I would really like to ramp up my side business and maybe turn it into a full-time thing which means that I need more clients. So I’m researching the various different signing agencies and finding that the majority require an NNA certification or an NNA background check at the minimum. I’m hesitant to spend money on these things right now. So my question is: Is it worth it to invest in this NNA certification? Especially now with the uncertainty about the future… is work slowing down as far as loan signings go?

2 Likes

Here’s the thing - almost every state is under a Stay-At-Home or Shelter-in-Place order; closings are moving toward being done remotely with remote online notarizations. Many states have fast-tracked their commissioning process for this type of notarization but it’s still going to take time. Conventional signings (face to face across the table) are becoming a thing of the past.

Check your state SOS and see what your process and requirements are - or are you automatically grandfathered in due to this national emergency. If so, you’ll need a RON platform/service provider to accommodate your e-seal and your state’s RON requirements.

Lots of research to do - good luck.

2 Likes

What state are you in?

@marcia3641 I am in Texas.

Are face-to-face signings a thing of the past already? I just got started…now I have to expedite the RON process which is already a thing here in VA. Ugh!!

1 Like

@inotary_va I don’t think so, I did 3 face-to-face real estate transactions last week even with the shelter-in-place thing in effect. No one has ever asked me if I could do a virtual notarization to date, but like I said to date I haven’t tried to get into this business full-time.

1 Like

Thanks for responding. I’m concerned that if Title/Escrow companies begin using RON this could potentially put us out of business. I had one borrower ask if there was a way to sign docs electronically. I told him that my application for RON is pending here in VA. However, I still don’t understand how RON will work for signing agents.

1 Like

Depends on whom you talk with. I sat in on a podcast yesterday where notary “gurus” said they thought this was a long-term “fad,.” and that because of the fraud potential in a full RON signing, the gov’t would eventually get bit and stop it. ON the other hand, I listened to another podcast that iindicates it is the wave of the future. The first group said “do not run out and race to become RON affiliated.” This is a new and debatable process. It is hard to understand and I am finding it confusing. Someone told me that the 5-6 companies who will be using RON notaries each want you to utilize only their specific platform. However, the place I obtained my generic certificate says all of the platforms will recognize it.

It’s a crap shoot, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Addition to my earlier remarks. Both groups emphasized that traditional signings are not going anyplace and will continue to dominate the market for the foreseeable future. Even if RON eventually takes over the major markets, it will be a long time before that becomes the norm. To wait or not to wait – that is the question each person has to answer.

3 Likes

Thanks for your response. I feel like I have to rush the whole RON application process to remain in business. Therefore. I started researching platforms to use. Honestly, I am not excited about RON. I know it is most convenient, especially for general notarial acts which I don’t perform that often. Majority of my business is face-to-face signings which I enjoy.

1 Like

rlwalker05 ~ I so agree it is a crap shoot. WA State endorsed emergency situation RON action but by the time you go through all the hoopla, only valid until April 26th and then they are back to October 2020 effective date. As far as documentation, this can create a virtual mess should any entity have a law suit for any reason. Also, still waiting to hear if my E&O Insurance will cover RON activity. Not a good CYA process.

Hadn’t thought about E&O not covering. Will have to research that myself. I’m becoming more skeptical by the day. However, from a distance perspective, mighten it be good to have the RON certification for those times when asked if you have it for a order? Just sayin and think. . .

A background check is a must, you get that and NNA certification for $65 a year. A real value if you ask me :slight_smile:

1 Like

What I’m seeing on notary sites around the country (and being pushed by the online companies) is a mad, lemming-like rush to jump on this bandwagon, to preclude personal contact. Many though, myself included, are not.

What some are finding, though, is that with the significant initial (and ongoing) expense, technological requirements, electronic journal, and potential for ID theft, fraud, and Elder Abuse, among other things, versus what income can realistically be realized, gives them pause for second thoughts. What pay can you really expect for a closing that may take twice as long electronically, and with no printing/travel?

The senior market especially, is not going to embrace doing their refi or purchase over Skype from a thousand miles away. They like good old black and white paper that they can see, read, and have a hard record of.

I think when the crisis passes, most companies, especially regional TCs, will maintain business as usual.

I’ll await the first Ohio lawsuit emanating from remote notarization.

I am a notary in Calif. and have been for 43 yrs. Never had a background check other than required by the state upon notary renewa every 4 yrs… Think annual checks are a joke. Never had a problem obtaining signings from those whom require it!

In my opinion the NNA certs. & background checks are not necessary. Waste of time & money. NNA used to be good for the profession, not anymore, they are in it for the money!

This is my 2 cents worth. Like you, I have been a commissioned notary for years (commissioned in 1981) - I was a litgation paralegal for 30 years in real estate, among other areas. I have been a certified signing agent since 2003 - and is my work slowing - absolute not! Is E&O insurance important - my opinion very!

As for NNA, I would not trade it for anything. I obtain my certification yearly, and have been a member since 2003. Some may say it is a waste of time, and the great thing about America, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. The NNA keeps up with the 50 states, works with in the realm of keeping up with new government laws and policies. I have just started going to NNA conferences in the last two years, and plan to go this year. The information and knowledge that I have obtained has assisted me in my professional understanding and importance. After two weeks of the stay-at-home orders here in Arizona, I stopped doing closings - as at one of my closings I was exposed to the virus. But I get on the average 10 calls a day.

Arizona has past the RON and e-notarization under the emergency act. As long as the Notary, under his/her state, and under the emergency act facilitates a closing he/she will be covered by his/her E&O insurance. This is according to Merchant’s Bond advising the NNA. However, after the emergency is lifted is another story.

I work mainly with title companies because of time in the business. The ones I work with require or prefer NNA, require background screening, and E&O insurance of a minimum of $100K.

For what it is worth, I hope this will assist you in your decision.

3 Likes

notarypublicbackgroundcheck.com is $49 for 2 years, which is a much better value. :wink:

However, that does not include the listing on SigningAgent.com, which is quite valuable for many people.

I think it is worth it!