Last chance to stop NATIONAL Remote Online Notarization

Actually the companies I work with pay more, way more because there is no middleman, you are dealing directly with the title companies. Some pay the same, but my overhead has gone way down and I can do more closings in a day because no more driving. No more printing, No more shipping. Plus it’s impossible for there to be any errors. The program doesn’t allow for errors to be submitted. You are being paid for doing notarizations only, not the entire package in most cases. As the for the fees you are quoting, I recognize the company you are referring to but there is no charge for a digital signature or a digital certificate depending on the state you are in. Some companies, if they really want you pay all those charges themselves and only require you to pay for the digital certificate. Small price to pay to do 10 closings a day everyday and never leave home. I embrace technology. There is no avoiding it, especially nice. I make a tidy living doing remote e-notarizations sine Covid-19. I have been certified with Pavaso since 2017 and never made a red cent. Not anymore.

4 Likes

Very interesting and informative. Thank you for your input. You’ve answered some of the concerns but, in my mind, anyway, have brought up new ones. ‘certified since 2017…never made a cent. Not anymore’… Impressive numbers!
Wonder how long this will be true and how long before Big Tech pushes you out because they can do it cheaper due to economy of scale. And, does FL law say ‘only FL notaries can do FL RON signings’…precluding the use of, say…a VA notary–or are you currently able to do a RON from a signer anywhere?

You are missing the point. My ordinary training was paid for by a company. When it needed to be renewed it was once again paid for by a company. I have been out of pocket not a dime. They thought the industry was going to go online and it didn’t. Well, things have changed. Technology has advanced and people want the convenience and now the safety of online closings. No Florida is open to all notaries as are some other states. I am not afraid of competition. I work for title companies all over the country anyway. Nothing stays the same. If Big Tech pushes me out, I’ll figure out another way to make money. I always have. I don’t let grass grow under my feet. I’m not fearful of the future. I embrace change and keep it stepping!

9 Likes

Can anyone explain what RON platform you should sign up with in Texas? First of all I signed up with Pavaso and then I talk to a one of my Title company’s I work with regularly and receive a lot of business from and he told me I would not get any more of there business if I am signed up with Pavaso that his Lenders do not use them. So how do you know what Platform to sign up with? And do you loose all of your contact relationships You have built up for years? I understand you can only be on one platform but why does that exclude you from receiving closing assignments from your existing title company(ies)? What about all the business we have been receiving from SnapDocs, Notary Cafe, Xoom and other places we might be listed on receiving business from? Please help. This new process is hard to understand.

1 Like

I would think the fees should be higher with RON. Much riskier since credential identification is much more difficult. I’ve definitely been able to spot fake IDs, just by the way they feel and ability to notice lack of a hologram. Don’t know that I would be able to see this over teleconference.

They DO command a higher fee - here in FL conventional notarizations are $10/notarization; RON is $25/notarization; HOWEVER from what I’m reading, the platform not only charges for the initial setup but charges a per notarization/certificate fee - so the notary really doesn’t get the $25 per - they get less.

I wish luck to anyone stepping ahead to do this - technology has passed me by and I have no intention of doing remotes. I’ll finish out my conventional commission and call it a day - of course, I’m keeping in mind that in 14 years as a notary in Florida I have had just ONE request for an e-signing, … so I don’t see anyone requesting a remote signing/notarization from me, especially since, with RON, notaries can cross state lines. (think about that).

Hello Arichter,
As usual, you are right on… The problems with Ron are being swept under the table. There are large corporate interested who want this passed. Why? The money!!! Once the need for a mobile notary is eliminated then its just a skip and a hop to the next level, of large corporate takeover of our industry. Boiler rooms of brand new notarys will be working the desk (at $10 per hour) and the independants will be out on the streets.

Protect our industry, write your representatives and tell them NO to RON…

1 Like

As stated earlier, SB 3533 for a Nat’l RON law is still in the Judiciary Committee for evaluation prior to going before the U.S. Senate for vote. With the covid 19 hysteria & all the idiotic temporary fixes being accepted, it might just pass. Best place to stop it is while it’s in Committee.

You have companies (such as Pavaso) where you would have to complete RON signings using their platform.

You then have providers who offer to provide and host RON notaries/signings you perform individually (such as DocVerify) and can use on your own. I use DocVerify but there are a few more out there. You have to pay a setup fee, a monthly fee, and depending on your state, a digital certificate fee and the fee to become an online notary. With DocVerify, you have to use their Enterprise edition if you want to do RON signings (currently $50 per month). This gives you so many credits to conduct both RON signings and electronic signings.

1 Like

What company are you with?

Pavaso, Signix, and Notarize.

1 Like

I am a remote notary in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Electronic signings have been taking place here since 2009. I was leery of RON as I studied up on it over a 4 year time period. However, once I understood the security levels and how iD verification takes place, I became the more favorable to the point of getting my remote commission last fall. I see the direction the industry is going and after experiencing both Notarize and DocVerify, I am definitely onboard with RON and plan to eventually shift my business to completely eliminating the paper trail. I have since gotten myself certified on four platforms so I am able to be as available as possible to my clients. Thankfully, Virginia has given me options to help people whatever their notary needs are.

6 Likes

Did you have to get different certificates for each platform? If I only work with a signing company, would I still have to have an account with each platform?

I embrace technology also, but I am not paying some 3rd party business to use their platform for my signings. I have enough work doing wet ink signings and plan on keeping it that way. I like meeting the people and feel there will always be a niche for me.

1 Like

Who are you signed up with?

May I ask what platform and companies are you using. I have my credentials for VA and I believe now is the time to transition from driving to working from home for safety reasons.

See my reply from May 1 for the list.

Question for you…I am a new notary in VA and since you seem to have a little more experience I hope you can help me out. I understand that I can notarize a document from outside VA if it has a Virginia connection. Is that the same with RON or can I notarize a document from anywhere in the US or foreign soil even without a Virginia connection?

Hello Robin,

The venue is the same. As long as you are physically in Virginia, you can handle a document(s) from anywhere in the world as a RON, providing the document(s) have to do with something legally binding in the United States. For example, my first signing was for a company in Illinois needing a Deed signed for a property being sold but the signers were stuck in India visiting family when COVID-19 hit. I met with the signers using DocVerify, had them sign the document, and sent the document to the title company in Illinois.

Thanks for the explanation.