Looking for information regarding e-signings

I am interested in becoming an e-signing agent. I am already a mobile agent and have been for 4 years. I have not been able to find any real information as to what all is needed to the e-signings and especially the best place to get an e-signature and seal. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to guide me along the way. I have the laptop and I just renewed my commission and I know that I need an e-commission, but I need to have my seal and signature first.

I’ve looked at a few of the platforms out there, and indicated in my profile I’m willing and equipped to do e-closings. The only platform that seems to be interested in my state, Vermont, is Pavaso. I’ve only had one request from a title company that uses Pavaso, and that was too great a distance for me to accept.

Because of the lack of activity in my area, I have not invested any money in getting ready for e-closings. I have a laptop and a smartphone with built-in hotspot anyway, and that’s sufficient.

The rules vary from state to state, and even the meaning of words like “seal” and “signature” vary from state to state. Some states allow you to use whatever method you want (but you may have to notify the state of which methods you choose), other states make you choose from a few platforms that have been approved by that state. All the methods I’ve seen involve a subscription of some sort; Pavaso was free for me because I had already worked with one of the title companies that use their platform for traditional closings, so they paid for a 1-year subscription. I wouldn’t pay for a subscription unless I already had a customer lined up.

If this really takes off, I envision each title company or lender adopting a platform that works well with the rest of their information technology infrastructure. Since notaries usually work with many title companies, each notary would need to be signed up with several platforms.

I agree with your assessment of the situation.