Looking for Mentor in Los Angeles/No OC area

I am new and i am certified as a signing agent. Is it “professional” to allow trainees or someone wanting to get familiar with live clients to meet with an active and experienced signing agent?

If this is possible, could i ask for the support? Thanks in advance!!

Yes, it’s ‘acceptable’ to meet with another notary, but you can’t tag along on a signing due to privacy issues. However, fairly certain you’ll have some difficulty getting an experienced signing agent in your area willing to ‘train the competition’–you!

There are quite a few Youtube videos of ‘how to do this’ (in every one of which I find some nitpicky flaw or another), but they will still give you quite a few tips on the process. Tho’ I’ve never seen one with a ‘difficult’ signer, I also know that every single one I’ve had has been difficult in a different way and you have to figure it out on the fly.

This is one of few jobs where you learn as you earn. Get your feet wet…

1 Like

Can you Arichter, share some of the difficulties you experience pleas

Hey, don’t worry… it’s really a very rare thing and, as I said, every one is unique so it really won’t help anyone to list the maybe half dozen jerks I’ve encountered in 25 years. OK, here’s one…an accountant who sat with a tape adding machine adding, subtracting every paper with figures on it. Sometimes twice because he hit a wrong key & got a number different from what was on the document. That really won’t happen any more as now they must get the Closing Disclosure to them days BEFORE I get there. Get your feet wet and you’ll have your own stories to tell. This isn’t rocket science.

I’ll share! The guy who read every line on every document, using a ruler to make sure he didn’t miss a word… moving his lips and looking up the definition of words he didn’t understand in a dictionary. The woman who screamed at her husband for 5 minutes over every page with numbers on it. The “sweet dog who loves everyone” that bit me. The baby who threw up all over the table… and the docs. (Saw that one coming and got out of the way with the spare set.) The kids sent outside to play while Mommy was busy who scratched their names into the side of my new car. The broken foot earned picking my way through a mess on a porch.

1 Like

And let’s not forget the woman in labor who insisted on finishing the signing even though she was in transition and minutes from giving birth. (I could have put a halt to that one, but…geez, I figured if she wanted those funds so badly, the least I could do was dodge medical staff and crouch a lot.)

1 Like

May I ask the same question? I am a newbie in San Diego. I am only nights and weekends so I’m no competition. I would like to get my first gig and I don’t know where to turn and I would love a mentor and would certainly return the favor in the future.

Julie

wow, lol. Very interesting stories there, sorry you had to go through them, but interesting to read nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

Hello,

I am wondering (in Southern California) what signing agencies will work with new agents. I hate the part of their forms that asks, “How many signings have you done”. I want to get going and will only be nights and weekends and I wish everyone a great evening.