Mailing/Overnight Fees

I am doing my first signing this week. Cannot remember from my training if it is customary for the signing agent to pay the mailing fees or the title company when they request overnight docs. Is this something you discuss up front when you are looking to accept the assignment?

They should pay for that, not the notary.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

Not only do they pay, they provide a UPS or FEDEX mailing label that you print out. Ordinarily notaries do not pay and then add it to the fee.

1 Like

There are a few oddball companies with ‘not loan docs’ who want you to scan or fax everything back and then send the (usually very small) package back by regular mail. Think I’ve done that maybe twice in 25 years so it’s not normal, but can happen. But, mostly there is a prepared prepaid label in the pkg. Haven’t seen hiring co. include just their account # and then you must prepare the label yourself in a long time. But if it should happen, pick up some labels out of drop boxes to keep on hand. Never order them or you could then be billed for the shipment if the hiring co. doesn’t pay! Just a heads up FYI.

1 Like

They should have sent you a mailing label.

1 Like

TranStar National Title wanted me to pay for FED EX Priority Overnight on a 180-page VA loan. Ah…no.

2 Likes