Mobile Scanners

I have a laptop and portable scanner which works pretty well. I have a Brother DS620 which scans 8 pages per minute in color or B/W and the clarity is solid. I will usually use this for a seller signing far enough away from my house that it would cause the title company agita if I drive home then scan.

For a job with only a few docs to scan back (like a reverse app) I use the Scannable app on my iPad. It works great, and links with Evernote to allow me to convert to PDF and email.

Any more than that and I will wait until I get home to use my desktop scanner.

Hi Judi,

Do you still like your Brother portable scanner? I’m going to hopefully use it to scan to flashdrive or to my phone.

Thank you,

Maria

I do. It’s held up under two years of regular use; it’s light and compact, and it packs well into a shoulder bag.

That’s good to hear! I’m really thinking about getting one. I already have the Brother app on my phone so hopefully getting things set up won’t be too painful!

I use the Epson DS 30. Small, inexpensive and easy to use.

Can it scan to a flash drive?

The Brother? Yes, it can scan to a flash drive.

Sorry, Judi. I was wondering if the Epson did. I’m sending the Brother back. I have to babysit it and gently feed it 5 pages at a time or else it gets hungry and eats the paper.

Sorry mj1968, I am not sure the Epson can scan to a flash. One caveat to the Epson,is that you have to do one page at a time which is sort of annoying but I do this in my car while waiting for my next appointment. Or have to stop someplace if I am on foot. Sometimes, I do it as I go while the borrowers are filling out information at the signing. Lots of the title companies I work with just want the scans of the signed pages. I use a very small notebook and a MiFi to get the docs back. That Brother scanner, the one you and Judi have, actually sounded good. I was going to upgrade to that but seemed kind of big. When travelling in NYC on the subway, not always easy to carry all of this stuff around so I have to pack light.

The Brother ADF is touchy, true. Took me a few tries to get the knack. But now I set it up on my traveling desk in the car, plop in 10 or 15 pages at a time, make sure they are aligned, and let 'er rip while I work on something else.

There was no “lettin’ her rip” with mine! :grinning: I tried all of the tricks that other people had posted on Amazon (putting a binder clip at the top as a paper guide, decreasing the dpi setting so it wouldn’t grab the paper as fast) and I still had to baby it. It does have a lot of great features. I guess that’s the trade-off for the smaller size- I can’t just plunk 80 pages in it and walk away.

Info13, if you’re used to feeding one sheet at a time, you might really like the Brother. It does look a little more bulky than the one you have but it has a lot of cool features. You can scan directly to email without your PC which might make up for the trade-off for a bulkier scanner. Good luck!

Would love to see the travelling desk :smile: BTW, you always have great advice Judikidd. Thank you both for posting. I was really going to upgrade to this model.

1 Like

I agree with you. Judi does have great advice. I pay close attention when I see one of her posts. Arichter and KLewis have great ones, too. :grin:

Agreed on all three! Arichter and KLewis are great as well. Always looking to lend a helping hand in a way that is clear, honest and tactful.

1 Like

Thank you mjeverett! I really do want to pick this up but it would mainly have to be for when I have my car. My Messenger bag gets really heavy and kicked around on the train when it is rush hour out here. Especially if I have multiple signings and borrower copies weigh me down. Does it send to your e mail as PDF or do you convert the files from a proprietary wrapper? That is a super convenient feature.

Mine is the AutoExec AEGrip-03Elite GripMaster tablet/iPad Mount Car Desk. (Quite a mouthful!) I just upgraded from the basic AutoExec Car Desk. I love this thing! A flat writing surface that tucks away, space for pens and paper, a desktop with a nonslip pad for my scanner and/or printer… worth every penny of the $250 it costs at Amazon.

Yes, it sends as PDF and you can save multiple addresses to scan directly to. You will have to get a plug-in for your car, though.

That is the coolest thing! I want one! Thank you for that info Judi!

I was iffy about the iPad stand at first, but after a couple of weeks I can’t believe I managed without it.