New here,looking for clarification on fees

So I am new here and I am looking to potentially get started and become a mobile notary and looking for some clarification.

I found this fee chart. https://www.nationalnotary.org/file%20library/nna/knowledge%20center/outside%20pdfs/state-notary-fees-chart.pdf

Now I am from Nebraska. Does this chart mean the max I could get paid per signing is 9 dollars?

I was curious as I found info online for this to be a good side business to get started in, but it seems really too low to be worthwhile in my state at least.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

You should look up the law or rule in your state from whatever authority controls notaries in your state. The NNA chart is only a summary. It may be out of date, and there are probably additional rules you would want to consider.

An important factor is a travel fee. Most notaries are not mobile, and most state rules don’t say anything about travel fees. This means the travel is a separate service from the notarizations, and would be negotiated between the client and the notary.

Don’t waste your money or time. it seems there is no place for newcomers like myself in this field.
Did the full courses with the NNA and have submitted docs to several so called agencies, even paid a subscription to some, but they all keep asking for more documents. I sent them ALL there is to send BUT…
I think some of them are fraudulent. I am still waiting for a first signing. they all just want the same thing. Your money…Shame on them for deceiving us.

E.L.

1 Like

I feel your frustration. I’ve been an NSA for a little over a year now and have had little loan signing jobs. Within the first year, I was feeling very frustrated and felt even that this was a waste of time. The offers then started coming in. This year so far has been the opposite with offers, but I’ve turned down MANY thanks to gaining an understanding of proper negotiations and self-worth in this line of business. My advice is not to give up, just market yourself more. Continue applying with companies on line (even though they may not offer you jobs overall, one is bound to hit). Make business cards, research your area and market yourself to all sorts of businesses. Of course, social media marketing is essential as well. You will eventually see clientele if you constantly practice your marketing. Good luck, good things come to those who hustle!

you’re turning away work and you don’t even a notary one year, bad idea. Get the experience under you belt, get a few years in, then only with the good paying signing & title companies. You being picky, before you even started…

The NNA listing will never get you work, you need to sign up with Signing & title companies. The only thing that can get in your way is laziness, or just giving up…

Your in a bad State to do mobile notaries…I think they hate notaries there. On 32 cents per mile to cover travel…wow.

Stick with loan signings only in that state.

Also be aware, the loan signing customer may be able to back at your for a refund. Read this from Gov. of Nebraska:

The Nebraska Secretary of State’s Office urges notaries to exercise caution in considering these signing agent or mobile notary offers.
If a bank or mortgage company wants to employ a notary to perform notary services, act as a “signing agent” or “mobile notary officer” and wants to pay more than the statutory rate, that is up to them. However, the fee a notary may charge for their services is set forth in state law as described above. Neither the notary nor a third party charging notary fees as part of the services they provide should exceed the statutory fees in charging for notary services.
Example: an itemized loan closing statement should not list “notary fees” at $125, unless notary services provided at the statutory rate, plus mileage at the statutory rate, equal $125.

That chart is out of date. Look up your state lawmon fees and charge accordingly.

I do pay a small fee to list on Notary Cafe and received signings from this network even before paying for the subscription and I have a subscription on the NNA signing agent.com. Once you get your first signing, others will follow. When I first started as a signing agent, I sent emails to local title agencies, banks, etc., and was able to find work that way. However, I started in 2004 when the market was hot.

That chart is more for notary public prices and that is how much you can get per notarization, so if you can charge $5 per notarization and you have a document that requires you to notarize 3 pages you will get $15. As a notary signing agent you will make anywhere from $75 - $200 per document, depending on where you live. I’m in CO and it seems that newcomers average about $90-$100 per document, but a friend of mine in Northern CA gets about $150 per document and is VERY busy at this time. You have to put in your time, sign up with a lot of contracting companies like snapdocs, and reach out to realtors and title companies on social media. Join all of the local groups on FB or IG that are for notaries, realtors and title companies as well. It’s a strange time, but you will eventually get requests. Good luck!

Is $50 a reasonable fee for a deed signing 30 miles away?

The IRS allows 57.5 cents per mile for what it costs you to own and operate your vehicle in most of the country. Unless you have records to support a different number, you would allow 60*0.575 = $34.50 as a cost. Depending on traffic in your area, it might take you an hour to drive this distance; you deserve to be rewarded for your time, perhaps $30. So a reasonable charge to drive over to the signing location and returning home, without doing anything else, would be $64.50.

1 Like