New Notary Help

I have been a Mobile Notary Signing Agent for about 3 months. Most of my signings have been for Refinance Loans. It is taking me anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours to complete them and I’m wondering if there is a way to cut the time down. I’ve listened and read information from others in the business, and most seem to be able to complete the signings in about 45 minutes. Most of the borrowers want to read some or all of their docs or they have questions, and want to speak to the lender during the signing. I would appreciate any suggestions to cut my signing time unless of course this is a reasonable amount of time.

I always tell the signers to block out 1 hour. Sometimes things take longer some less. I never rush the deal. Since the new C D things move along more quickly. If the signer is a “first time” refi, they want reassurance and will review the doc’s more closely, if the signer has done this before, all they check is the total, rate and payments. Enjoy, you will meet some really great folks.

1 Like

When you are a newbie it is not a bad thing to take more time with the signings that after you get more experience. However there are things you can do to speed it up and what bothered me is that you are spending a lot of time on the phone with the loan officers. You need to get to know the documents so you are able to answer the most basic questions that borrowers have. It is NOT illegal to point out to the signers what is written in black and white in front of them. Most people just do not know where to look for the information they are seeking so that becomes your job.

It sounds to me like you may need some comprehensive training which will immediately improve your skills and performance. Do your homework and find the most suitable training courses for you. In the long run it will save you a lot of time and time is money.

3 Likes

1.5 hours is an ideal time to complete a refinance signing, actually some companies would suggest you clear 2 hours for one appointment. Depending on the size of the package, since they are different, it’s not visible to rush through 115-230 pages of documents with tens of notarization stamps at times and many pages for customer/customers to sign in 45 minutes without rushing them. I spend any where from 1.15 to 2.0 hours for each signing.

2 Likes

I think that is about right. I have been one for over 11 years and I would not try and cut down the time at all. Simply because the Borrowers need to really check out the figures. They need to take their time in checking all the documents. Even though they might have a 3 day rescission period. Like some say, they read every word, others don’t really need that much time. I just tell them, take all the time you want. Your want a few hours, take it. I had one last night that I was there for 4 hours. Simply because what I downloaded and ran off and they were going to sign, was not a all what they had in their hand as a preview. The money was off. The name was incorrect. The Borrower was on the phone for almost and Hour, its ok, to take as much time as is needed. Don’t rush people. They will have more confidence in you if your there to give them the phone call numbers to get answers with and you don’t act like your in any big hurry. It is what it is and that is what I get paid for being of Service as a Notary Public.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! I feel like I’m doing the right thing now. Your help is appreciated. I feel much better.

1 Like

Yes, it’s absolutely essential to get familiar with the documents being presented. An hour is about avg. for a signing (even the shorter seller ones take that long). For the most part, signers should be aware of the transaction details, but we’re there to help them find the explanations. One way to tackle time stranglers is to inform them in advance what your role will be once you meet; you are only there as a Guide to assist them with SIGNING the papers. Communicating with lender beforehand is Not optional; they need to schedule time to address concerns with the party who will answer questions and align the numbers accordingly. It’s okay to let them read, but Four hours is way too long. Once the Closing Disclosure or HUD numbers have bor’s okay, the deal is basically good to go. Other paperwork/disclosures are formalities (generally speaking).

Tips: Remember to ask them to have ID copies ready and ask how their name(s) is spelled on ID. That way you can catch potential problems. Also, by determining marital status, you can sometimes addressed vesting issues. Finally, ask if okay to forward a reminder email (I tell them it will have all they will need to know, along with My contact info).

Helpful Signing Hints

(sent to Borrower)***
I’m looking forward to meeting you on ____ Mr. or Mrs. Signer. Here are a few suggestions for a smoother loan signing:
Speak to lender in advance
Review Settlement Statement or Closing Disclosure
Have appropriate ID (I list for them)
Have copies made
Make sure ALL signers are present and are able to remain for entire signing
Wire any funds due directly to Title co.

4 Likes

Also, just as we don’t want to rush them, we shouldn’t feel rushed either (how mistakes are made). Take your time and while still new, avoid chit-chat as much as possible (although this is tempting for calming nerves). This isn’t always easy - and there can be many distractions around. Focus on task at hand; be friendly and professional. It should be as important to them as it is to the notary to get it done Right - the 1st time.

1 Like

I agree with NotaryPr02 that when you are new…it is important for you, as well as them, to allot more time.
However I have been doing mortgage closings for 17 years. I can do refis, and most closings in 20 to 40mins. Refis: I highly stress that they have 3 days (and in some cases, 4 with Sunday) to review and read all. Most people make sure the numbers make sense and read your copies later". I say this at every refi. Almost every one of them are relieved to hear this…and they get it. Some of course, don’t. So I re-emphasize the RTC a couple of times more. If they don’t get it still I let it go. That becomes the 40 min signing.
An hour and 1/2 is way to much time as far as I’m concerned. Most people are so glad they don’t have a notary that goes over every page. I let them turn the page and sign, if they have a question I am right there. I discourage them picking up the phone to call the lender/escrow/agent. I say “Let me see if I can answer that” then * I* make the call for them, so that I call the right person, get through the receptionists desk quickly, and then put them on speaker phone… but first, I remind them again that they “have the RTC 3 day rescission to get that answer”
I have been thanked for keeping it short many many times.

3 Likes

When making the confirmation call with the borrower for re-fis, I always remind them to have current government-issued photo ID available and to have copies ready to send back with the package in case they’re requested. I also remind them that they have three business days in which to read over the documents and raise any questions they might have with their lender, thus minimizing the time necessary to scrutinize the docs at the table. I never rush a signing, but I do move it along. An hour is usually about right - maybe longer for a newbie.

1 Like

I’d like to ask what you do when you have so many notarizations that they take up 3 1/2 pages in your registry?
This just happened to me. Needless to say it took up quite a bit of time.

1 Like

lol . . . well, that depends on what State you’re in! There is only ONE State I know where notaries must literally dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’ in their mandatory Journal. I designed a simple & direct journal to use with multi-doc signings; it really takes no time at all - and all acknowledgments & jurats are recorded. You should be able to abbreviate, and you can fill-in repetitive data, dates, etc. at your leisure.

I’m in TX . Can you share what your journal looks like?

I use Notary Rotary’s wonderful Journal called the ([Modern Journal of Notorial Events]) It takes 1 line to list all docs, (which most are pre-printed there, so I can just circle the ones I did and how many), for each borrower. Easy Peasy!

2 Likes

I can email you a sample page (or contact me on my web site: novaloansignning.com).
Also, my journal is being used by some VA notaries since it is comprehensive for our needs - and includes maps, charts, mileage log, references pages, etc. There are plenty of really good ones out there - but mine saves me time and suits My needs to a tee!

1 Like

Paris, can I email you a question I have regarding the journal?

I’ve created my own that sounds very familiar to what you just described. What a time saver it’s been!

I love the idea of using the Modern Journal from Notary Rotary! I still feel a little uneasy using it as I’m in California.The NNA is not the law but they insist that we must have one journal line per document, however, I don’t see that as written law. I’m getting ready to reorder journals so input would be greatly appreciated.

I believe the guidance for this is in your workbook or newsletter your SOS puts out - my understanding of those directives is you must have an entry for each time you notarize a signature - so yes, one line for document. I believe your SOS has also advised individual notaries who call them that that is the case.

Order your journals by the case out there in CA!!!