Not asking buyer to initial SWD?

When I was trained, I was told that I should not ask the buyer to initial the SWD if it was an original that had already been signed by the seller. Is this correct, and if so, why?

I would assume this would also hold true on a Quit Claim deed when both parties are at the signing since the other party would be signing the Quit Claim as an original?

Thanks.

I’m assuming “SWD” is “Seller’s Warranty Deed”? If so, the in my experience buyer’s pen doesn’t touch it at all…neither signature nor initials. Same for Quit Claim Deeds - Grantors are the only ones who sign them.

On some SWD’s (copies) there will be a stamp that says “Read and Approved “ with signature lines.

[quote=“shoilun, post:3, topic:8342”]
On some SWD’s (copies)
[/quote]"

Okay…that would probably be for title’s file and yes, I’ve seen that…however that’s not what you asked…your original post asked about the “original” WD…you said “When I was trained, I was told that I should not ask the buyer to initial the SWD if it was an original that had already been signed by the seller” - that’s what I was responding to.

Linda, I think you’re replying to another reply, but it sounds like what you’re saying is that the original shouldn’t be initialed by the buyer, only initial if it’s a copy?

To clarify – SWD I’m referring to is Statutory Warranty Deed. I didn’t realize this, but evidently it’s not used in all states (I’m in Washington and we use it here). I was trained that the SWD should be initialed by the buyer UNLESS it’s a seller-signed original. I’ve been doing it that way for about a year and have never had anyone come back and say it was a problem that the buyer initialed. I was just wondering if that’s the standard procedure and why the buyer wouldn’t initial the seller-signed original. Sounds like maybe the answer to that is because it’s a copy for title only that is initialed?

In some cases, I receive these with the stamp “Read and Approved” and sometimes not. Since I was trained (by signing service I work for) to always have them initial regardless of whether the stamp is there or not, that’s what I’ve been doing.

Thanks for everyone’s input. :wink:

In my experience, buyers never initialled OR signed the original Warranty Deed -

Title, at times, will make a copy of the original for the buyer’s review and have them initial that they accepted and approved the deed - but it’s on the copy for title’s file only - heading off any future problems where owners say “that’s not how I took title”, blah blah. However, the original, signed by the Sellers and recorded in the property records (county, city/town, district, wherever it’s recorded in the pertinent state) IN MY EXPERIENCE has never been signed or initialled by the buyers.

P.S. I should add my experience is 10 years here in FL as a signing agent and 25 years in CT as a closing paralegal. All that said, just follow instructions of hiring party Me, personally, if I’m not told to have them initial, or there is no small line on the deed for their initials, I would not take it upon myself to have them initial. JMO.