Notaries Stand against low fees

We all as Notaries need to stand together against low fees. If we join in together we will hold the POWER!! Because we are certainly a lot cheaper then retraining an attorney and majority of the time on short notice.
Factor in the cost of gas, paper, ink, folders, paper clips, binder clips, envelopes, faxing, scanning and the time to quality check each page of the documents before signing then QC again after the signing. After all that drive to FedEx or UPS to drop in time for next day delivery. At a $100 our customers are really getting a great deal.
I wish we could start a Union.

2 Likes

Great idea to make union.In California since the notary fee increased from $ 10.00 to $ 15.00 per sign, Signing companies start low ball game to
offer lower fees. from $ 100 to $70-75 per package.
I used to work with notary direct before they pay well but for the last six months ther are offering $ 70-75
with scan.

I think this is an excellent idea. Over the past 18 months I have found that the amount of pay offered for refinances, etc. has declined dramatically. This is because, I think, that new signing agents are accepting the “low ball” fees.

I’ll admit starting out I took the lower payment because I needed the experience. I am more selective now. I looked at it like paid training. New signing agents have to start somewhere.

3 Likes

I do agree that there needs to be a guideline for signing fees. I am not 100% on a Union.

Vet the companies you work with and remember, you do not work for them. YOU are a business owner. In the last two days I have only accepted 3 signings and made $525.00. Please know your worth and get rid of the employee mentality. If you don’t value yourself and your time, no one else will either. If you are good at what you do and are professional and detailed, success will come your way.

4 Likes

I no longer work for the low ball fees. I used to accept them because I was afraid that if I asked for more they would just go to another agent. I really haven’t found that to be true. Almost 100% percent of the time I get the higher price I ask for. I just giggle when they offer $75 for a refinance and tell them, “I am sorry; I can’t work for that.” Sometimes they have to get the asking price approved by a supervisor but I rarely get turned down. And fax/scan backs, if they are unwilling to pay more for that, :no can do. There will always be notaries who accept low ball fees; I’m not sure that will change. But as an individual, we can act professionally and request fees that are commensurate with the service we provide.

2 Likes

God yes! Then on top of the low fees they want to pay 30 net or worse 45-60!!! How are we suppose to eat! I’m in tell me how to do it. Problem is the fear is alway if I don’t take this someone else will and 75 is better then 0

I must admit you are correct. I setup my fees and if they dont meet my speciation’s then why should I meet theirs?

Totally agree! I stopped accepting orders from Notary Direct because they lowered so much their fees that is an insult! On the other hand there are many new notaries that accept those fees, so the market is very difficult for us…

I’ll accept $60… for a deed only signing when the docs have been Fedexed to me, and the signers come to my office, and I schedule the date and time.

I don’t start my car for less than 100.00 we are the backbone of the realestate world without us they would be shut down

1 Like

We are supposed to be ’ independent contractors’, but are treated more like employees or bad children than anything else. What independent contractors don’t set and make their own fees and just accept whatever someone says they will pay you which in my book is a donation based on nothing real. This is NOT a vocation, like a priest or a nun, or any one else who works for a donation. It is highly stressful and has the real potential of serious legal risks.

1 Like

Hey ladies and guys I been doing some research on a doc storage platform. Why can’t we work directly for ourselves and cut out the signing companies. I’m doing demo’s this week along with pricing. It is never going to be a leveled playing field. Let’s get it done.

1 Like