Notary business owner or self-employed notary?

Hello everyone! Let’s talk, starting with a few questions:

How many of you have a notary business? By business I’m referring to a business that is incorporated, branded, and hiring other notaries to perform services?

How many of you are self-employed notaries that perform the work yourself?

If you are a self-employed notary, have you thought about becoming a company? What are challenges you face?

I started my signing business this year (incorporated) after not being able to land a job in Title Industry after the 10-year gap in that field after 5 months of multiple interviews. I created a Business plan and implemented it. I had signings almost immediately and I turn down more than I take on (due distance and other obligations).

2 Likes

I work for myself and I love it. I have turned down several to due to distance and pay. Sometime its due to the time that they want the assignment done as well.

If you are self-employed you are a business and your should run your business like any other business type.

I incorporated because that is what was best for my business and me personally.

I have hired people and I have terminated people. Haven’t had a need to directly hire other notaries yet.

I enjoy the legal separation of entities due to incorporating. I do not enjoy the corporate and other taxes paid even though those were considered when making the decision to incorporate. And I like not having my business credit tied to my personal.

I miss the lax manor of accounting I could follow before incorporating and the ease of lots of other things that work for sole proprietorship but would cause a pit to open under your office if done with a corporation.

Each has their plus and minus factors. It’s simply about what you need as a business owner.

Who are you and why do you want this info?

1 Like