Overnight fees - what is the average amount to charge?

Hello All - I’ve been a notary public for eight years and just got certified as a signing agent as of this past November. I am new to the signing world. I’m working on completing a “Join Our Notary Roster” form online for this company and they ask for an amount I would charge for a “Single Overnight Fees” and other fees. What is the average amount to charge and what is this for?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I haven’t had to pay for the shipping in 12 years of doing this. They always send you the label.

Are they maybe asking you what your fee would be for any signing where you receive the docs via overnight mail as opposed to via email? (IOW your signing fee, not inclusive of printing the docs)

Provide the fee questions they asking verbatim, because single overnight fee to me means a single page notarized and them overnighted. Signing and Title companies always pay for shipping for returned docs.

Also, what have you been doing with your notary license the last 8 years, the money in doing loan and Real Estate signing??

I think the gentleman here means what should his fee be if the documents are overnighted to him instead of sent by email, if I’m right, just deduct the printing fee from your total fee. ServiceLink deducts $12 for a regular package (up to 125 pages), but the norm goes for about $20-25. I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Does anyone charge a fee for downloading and emailing documents?

Those costs are usually factored into your fees. The only time you should get a printing fee is if the signing cancels after you’ve already printed the document package. Generally this fee is 50% of the engagement fee. If you accept a low ball fee your cancellation fee will be less than it cost you to print the package.

2 Likes

I do a lot of FedEx shipping and the benefits of having an account can cut your shipping fees in half. The savings is real income to you. I see those full fees on the borrower statements so I know someone is pocketing the savings.

Back in the “old” days before the death of privacy, you had to own a plain paper fax to get the good assignments. Title companies would call you direct so they could put your name on the settlement statement. And then FAX you the entire loan package. Then you needed a printer to make a second copy. Even back then they faxed you a shipping label so you never had to pay.

1 Like

This was especially cool when we had thermal faxes so you would have a 30’ runner on your floor to cut up into pages. Oh yea, the good old days.

1 Like

Thank you. Also how do I break down the charges in my journal?

Mstremy,

I don’t breakdown my fees in my journal as the journal is a public record. There are some business matters that need to remain confidential. I breakdown my mileage, Notary fees, travel fees…etc., in my bookkeeping. This makes it easier to separate my notary fees and tertiary fees when it comes time for preparing tax returns and P&L statements.