Porch Signing... in northwest Washington?

“I apologize for wasting your time, sir, but due to health concerns, I cannot enter your house.” :grin: :grin: this had me LOL

3 Likes

When describing this person’s house, I cannot say “yuck” often enough. Yet his yard was lovely, and his patio was immaculate.

I don’t know about anybody else but I won’t be taking $100 offers for a while I’ve been getting $250 and $270 for refis now and no freaking scan backs:) Now booked up to the end of next week. :innocent::pray:. Feeling blessed.

2 Likes

Wow! Sounds great! Take it to the bank!

Way to go!! I’m so happy for you! My only concern (as far as getting paid) these days is that the SS companies will go belly up before they pay me! I feel like the whole SS thing is a kiting (Ponze scheme) I don’t understand why take 4-6 weeks to pay unless they are borrowing from Peter to pay Paul! I’m only doing signings that are with Title companies at this point. Be careful out there!

I loved your response!! I’m definitely keeping that line in mind for the future! There is no reason that we should subject ourselves to human squalor!!

Carmen really liked your recording and keeping things real.People booking our jobs are in an office and not on the front line. I understand wanting to help people but borrowers can also contact their mortgage people and work out some type of extension for payments or perhaps interest only payment during this crisis. Majority of entities are being very cooperative. I’m also in WA and read the details on state website regarding electronic notarization and RON. Was fortunate to email back & forth with someone in the department and quickly realized they don’t have their ducks in a row and still have a lot of concerns regarding the process. I also checked software websites and found them too expensive ~ forget that we don’t make that kind of money ~ its a racket. NSA needs to step up to the plate and get involved or they will end up with no mobile notaries and that will effect escrow, title, lenders, borrowers even more. You be safe taking signings during this period of time. I have decided to sit things out until May 4th, Inslee’s latest date because I’m 70 and have underlying risks. That’s my excuse for not abiding by rule that states we are necessary business. Everyone is so bogged down with daily changes that don’t have time to come after this old lady. Be safe! :mask:

2 Likes

When time frame is 2 hours, I tell Notary Contractor no way making that time frame due to distance. Then if they are ok with that (which they usually are), I move forward. They have even told me that is standard boiler plate request and ok to contest. Don’t fall for their crap and stand up for your rights.

Hi Alice, I have a few question I want to direct to you and judikidd and to other Washington notaries who are currently doing Remote Online Notarizations in Washington State…

QUESTION 1: Do you feel like you have a solid understanding of the requirements of Washington notaries to perform remote online notarizations? If so, can you please help me understand? Or point me in the right direction? I received my endorsements over two weeks ago after Inslee signed the emergency proclamation and I still feel like Washington rules and procedures for RON are clear as mud. The Washington Notary Commission is slow to respond and I know they are absolutely swamped. So I am hoping for direction from other Washington notaries who are versed in understanding and performing RON in Washington state. I scour the state notary commission website for updates and more detailed instructions on performing RON, and find nothing terribly helpful.

I feel like Governor Inslee OK’d remote online notarization because of COVID-19 and it now leaves notaries and the state notary commission scrambling to figure out exactly HOW we are going to achieve this lawfully and safely. I do not want to jump in and do remote signings only to find out after the fact that I have inadvertently broken rules.

QUESTION 2. Are Washington notaries required to store/safekeep the video recordings of the remote online notarizations we perform? If so, for how long? If not, who is responsible for storing/safekeeping the recordings?

QUESTION 3. In-person loan signings can be challenging enough for some signers… so for remote online notarizations, does it fall on notary’s shoulders to assist the signers in troubleshooting their own equipment (microphone/webcam, etc)??? If technical troubleshooting the signers equipment for them does fall on the notary, I think we can expect RON signing times in some cases to triple/quadruple. Anyone who has ever worked in a tech call center or who has helped an elderly parent or grandparent troubleshoot their technology remotely over the phone knows exactly what I am talking about. There wasn’t much I wouldn’t do for my 80 year old father in Idaho patiently talking to him over the phone trying to help him trying to successfully login to his computer and get connected to the internet from my home in Olympia. Those were seriously stressful and frustrating calls that I can look back at and laugh at now, but not at the time.

QUESTION 4: For RON loan signings that have TWO SIGNERS, how does each signer sign electronically using a single webcam/computer? Is the notary supposed to go through the signing process with one signer, then after that signer completes his/her portion, have them sign out and then assist the other signer in logging in and performing their portion of the signing?

There is so much potential liability here to jump into RON without understanding all the facts.

Thank you in advance for your feedback/advice.
~Carmen Lane 360-280-0888

Hello Carmen,

Questions below are the same I asked and researched with no reasonable determination from WA State website. With COVID-19 state office is closed and working with a skeleton team online.

Question 1 ~ WA State does not provide a clear understanding for RON which is only approved until the end of April 2020 at this time. I have seen NNA bulletins and they are also vague and refer back to state website. Recently also heard that TX has stopped electronic notarizations except for in extremely specific cases. TX is a large game player in the financial world. Since there is so much more work for WA State to come up with a good plan, don’t see how this will occur by October 2020. This time frame was put into place prior to COVID-19 and may be postponed (similar to 2020 Census).

Question 2 – At this time there is no clear guidance for technology storage. In NNA Magazine have read where other notaries expressing the security of electronic notarizations. My son works for Microsoft and I have chatted with him regarding electronic notarizations and he expressed same concern. Code of Ethics when I became a notary detailed NOT to sign in to websites that lack security. To me this is a conflict of rules of the game and ethics.

Question 3 – June 2019 I updated all of my electronics in anticipation of using electronic notarizations. WA State has such a muddled mess right now I have no desire to go that route. I work with many seniors and some don’t have computers. Would presume all signing would be through notary’s tablet or computer and not borrower’s technical equipment. We would just have to be skilled in our troubleshooting capabilities.

Question 4 – Hopefully software that would be used for a RON signing would take into account multiple signers and witnesses. Questions to ask prior to purchasing software.

Adding Question 5 – Will your Bond and Errors & Omissions Insurance cover electronic notarizations? That should be first item to check prior to engaging in electronic notarizations. CYA.

I have been a notary for over 30 years and in my last position prior to retirement managed notaries all over the US for large corporation based in Seattle. I utilized NNA for training of all of these notaries because every state has different notary laws. As we all know, it is difficult for all states to agree on a uniform notary platform. Recently read on the net there is activity to pass Federal notary laws for all states to abide by. Will see how that works out ~ guess it depends on how much money is paid to Lobbyists. I actually have faith on all the states to NOT come to a uniform agreement based on history of lack of cooperation.

Thanks for reaching out and hope my comments provide another view of what to think about. Be safe and be healthy!

Alice Hart
Certified Notary Signing Agent
Bremerton, WA

Great response, Alice!

Carmen, there are two types of signings: hybrid (often called “electronic”) or RON.

Hybrid requires the physical presence of signer in front of the Notary.

RON does not.

1 Like

I agree. What may work in a very populous state simply won’t work in a low-population state (like mine).

[quote=“alice2uworld, post:54, topic:10335”]
guess it depends on how much money is paid to Lobbyists
[/quote] Even if it were to become national law, many rural counties in many states would still lack the capability of e-recording. Would be a messy situation all around.

I very much agree with your comments. Bremerton WA is a USN town and parts of Kitsap County very rural ~ I refer to these places as hidden gems. Lot of Notary Contractors are big city and have no clue about rural life and technology challenges. I have also worked with Apostille signings for other countries which is another whole story since Trump has removed US from Hague Convention. Any universal changes right now to current notary platforms all over the US will lead to less security, cumbersome processes, and large expense for notaries… If electronic notarizations becomes a push, we still need to make a profit and fees will need to be increased.

I don’t see that happening. It’ll move to big tech until it all falls apart and the lawsuits, bailouts & heaven-knows-what starts.
Then they’ll realize what they’ve done, but it’ll be too late. New laws, more security and it’ll wind up being so expensive that they’ll wonder why they didn’t stick with paper & ink. Progress–ain’t it grand…

Hi Judi, Yes, I understand Hybrid vs RON. Maybe I am not asking clearly enough. For remote online notarization, who is responsible for storing/safekeeping the video of the loan signing? Is the Notary required to store/safekeep it in Washington State? If so, for how long? When performing RON, is the notary expected to help the signers troubleshoot any hardware, technical, and/or connectivity issues they may be experiencing when trying to do RON? Or is the loan officer or title company assisting the signers in getting logged in remotely?

And finally, if there are TWO signers for a loan package doing RON, how are they each signing separate signatures if they (the borrowers/signers) are using the same computer at same location? Does Signer #1 need to login, answer identification questions, sign signature blocks (electronically), then log out. Then Signer #2 logs in separately, answers identification questions, signs the signature blocks (electronically)… then the notary applies their electronic notary stamp?

Thanks for your help.

My answer would have to be… I can only answer based on my experience with electronic transactions. My provider, Pavaso, has not set up RON for Washington State yet, due to the temporary nature of the order.

I know that the RON supplier (Pavaso in my case) defends the electronic seal - that is covered in the monthly fee. As for any video, I see no more need for it than with a face-to-face signing. Would you take a video camera into a paper loan signing?

Pavaso provides an electronic journal of all notarial transactions you perform using your electronic seal via their platform. I maintain a paper journal as well for hybrid signings, and will continue to do so for RON.

Escrow/lenders have previously established each borrower’s credentials and have issued a PIN as identification for each of them.

When there are two signers, each signer establishes their signature/initials at the start of the signing. They do not log out. When you, the notary, access the electronic package using unique access codes provided to you, you thereby activate the signers’ previously authorized credentials to complete the signing. Just as with a paper document, each signer will sign each document as required before moving on to the next one.

You will continue to identify each borrower by viewing identification held up to the screen. Personally, I plan to scrutinize ID carefully, and to ask for a second piece if the first is not acceptable to me.

I’ve completed over a hundred electronic signings. There have been issues with two. Both were caused when my MiFi lost service in a remote area and was not able to regain a signal. For both, the signing was rescheduled as a paper signing. How will that situation affect RON? That will be an issue for escrow/lenders to handle.

Just as with paper documents, we are not involved in the preparation of the electronic package. Borrowers have established their credentials and received authorization to sign the documents prior to our arrival. Just as with paper documents, our part of the transaction is to confirm identification, notarize as needed, oversee the signing, and provide secure transportation of the completed package. A good understanding of the software is necessary - knowing the error codes, how to backtrack if a document is not fully completed, closing the program, etc. But glitches happen, and in my experience we are not expected to be tech-whizzes.

Again, this is all based on my own research and experience dealing with electronic signings. Others in states that allow RON probably know considerably more, and I do wish some of them would speak up.

1 Like

I saw agree ~ paper and pen still works. :mask:

I got a call about doing a refi signing in Western Washington today. After doing all I needed to do regarding requirements and fee, I was then informed that “by the way” One of the signers was isolated due to Covid. A porch signing was mentioned but I turned it down.Although I’ve had my two shots quite a while ago, I’m an older person and just don’t want to take the chance. I think they should have either gotten a power of attorney, or delayed the signing. Is anyone else coming up against this. Would someone else have accepted. I just don’t see doing a proper job looking thru the window at the person signing and while it was raining outside and exposing myself to the virus when I collected the paperwork they had handled.

I would not have done it either - especially since, just yesterday, the CDC has updated their website to include the fact that Covid is an airborne virus. No thank you. Thankfully they told you up front

Yes! I’ve come up against this on several occasions. I’m dismayed that the SS/Title companies are offering this as an option to the borrowers without determining first whether the assigned notary is amenable. I always make it a point to have phone contact with the borrowers to confirm the signing. If they request a “drop and dash” signing I inform them that it is not an option that I practice as WA state guidelines require a face-to-face signing. I don’t mind a porch or garage, as long as I know ahead of time so that I can prepare.
I walked away from a signing when the borrowers would not allow me into the property (house, garage, nothing), and suggested that they needed to take 45-60 mins to review the documents as they were not going to sign anything without having read it first. They offered that I could wait in my car while they reviewed the paperwork. When I sked them where we were going to sign after their review, since it would not be in the house, they suggested that they could meet me and sign in my car one at a time. I left them with the paperwork, went back to my car, called the agency to inform them what happened and that I would be leaving. again, this was a rainy day, I had driven over 20 miles which had taken 45 minutes due to weather and road conditions. I insisted that I be paid printing and trip fee, but they were going to have to assign another notary for what turned out to be an assignment with ridiculous parameters. I got my fees, but I was dinged and taken out of rotation for awhile for “unprofessional behavior”. (There is lots more to this story, but try to picture it!)