Porch Signing... in northwest Washington?

I got a call about doing a refi signing in Western Washington today. After doing all I needed to do regarding requirements and fee, I was then informed that “by the way” One of the signers was isolated due to Covid. A porch signing was mentioned but I turned it down.Although I’ve had my two shots quite a while ago, I’m an older person and just don’t want to take the chance. I think they should have either gotten a power of attorney, or delayed the signing. Is anyone else coming up against this. Would someone else have accepted. I just don’t see doing a proper job looking thru the window at the person signing and while it was raining outside and exposing myself to the virus when I collected the paperwork they had handled.

I would not have done it either - especially since, just yesterday, the CDC has updated their website to include the fact that Covid is an airborne virus. No thank you. Thankfully they told you up front

Yes! I’ve come up against this on several occasions. I’m dismayed that the SS/Title companies are offering this as an option to the borrowers without determining first whether the assigned notary is amenable. I always make it a point to have phone contact with the borrowers to confirm the signing. If they request a “drop and dash” signing I inform them that it is not an option that I practice as WA state guidelines require a face-to-face signing. I don’t mind a porch or garage, as long as I know ahead of time so that I can prepare.
I walked away from a signing when the borrowers would not allow me into the property (house, garage, nothing), and suggested that they needed to take 45-60 mins to review the documents as they were not going to sign anything without having read it first. They offered that I could wait in my car while they reviewed the paperwork. When I sked them where we were going to sign after their review, since it would not be in the house, they suggested that they could meet me and sign in my car one at a time. I left them with the paperwork, went back to my car, called the agency to inform them what happened and that I would be leaving. again, this was a rainy day, I had driven over 20 miles which had taken 45 minutes due to weather and road conditions. I insisted that I be paid printing and trip fee, but they were going to have to assign another notary for what turned out to be an assignment with ridiculous parameters. I got my fees, but I was dinged and taken out of rotation for awhile for “unprofessional behavior”. (There is lots more to this story, but try to picture it!)

That’s a lesson for us all. Just take traditional signings. Some of these companies are desperate to get someone, so they don’t give you all the information. Speaking to the signer would help.