Printer suggestions? Does anyone have a Dual Tray Laser Printer to recommend? or an All in One, with Dual trays for legal and standard?

What make model of printer do you use?

My question is around printing in only black ink. You said that you’ve never had an issue. Even though the originals come to us with color pages, you still print everything in black? I’ve been thinking about going that route because color toner cartridges are so expensive. Just to be clear, you’ve NEVER had an issue or received any negative feedback for printing in black ink only?

Update:

Item 3: Even though the print file may come with color text or graphics, I have always only printed loan docs in Black toner. I have been doing so for over 20 yrs and have NEVER had anyone (title co. or lender) mention anything to me about them being in mono-chrome (black).

Item 4: This item refers to my “spare” printer that can be (and has been) used to print loan docs in the event my primary printer is unable to do the task. (this usually occurs when I have forgotten to order a new toner cartridge when I should have!). However, it is only has a single tray configuration so in order to print both letter and legal I need to isolate the pages in the pdf print file into 2 separate print files for letter and legal sizes.

To do this I head over to this link on Notary Rotary’s site: https://www.notaryrotary.com/mc/pdfsorter.asp

The instructions ther are pretty simple but after creating the 2 print files it does require you to then pull out the paper tray and swap out the letter sheets for legal paper. You then re-assemble the pages according to the original pdf.

Sort of a pain but usually doesn’t take more than 2-3 mins to do so long as you keep the original pdf displayed on your computer screen and slowly scroll down as you alternate between the piles of letter and legal and put them in the right order.

1 Like

Has anyone had an issue with Apple iOS not being able to select the correct paper size?

Think I’ve seen this question many times and the answer is Apple does not play well with Adobe and your best solution was NotaryRotary’s pdf sorter. And, to other poster, black toner printing is the totally acceptable-by-all standard…and I’ve been doing this for 25 plus years, so believe it and save some money.

2 Likes

2 of us in my office, using 5 printers. 3 basic monochrome printers (Brother 6200DW, Brother 6300DW), 2 multifunction printers (Brother 6800DWT). All use the same toner and drum, which lets me purchase multiple units at once. No need to buy color. All printers are dual tray.

I replace the oldest printer every year. Donating the used printer to my local food bank, clothing bank or literacy program gives me a nice tax credit and keeps it out of the landfill.

To reduce jams, buy good quality paper. I prefer GP Advantage or Boise XP. Both meet preferred lender standards of 92 bright, 20 lb. Both very rarely jam. Costco flips back and forth between them for best price - I can usually get a 10 ream case of letter for $33 - $35, delivered. I buy them in 10 case lots and save a couple of bucks more on each case.

Another cause of jams is an old or dirty drum. Pull it out and clean the corona wire regularly. Use a spray and blow out used toner and paper dust that may have accumulated inside the machine and the drum. (Take the drum outside - it’s messy). This will also help with the occasional creasing.

If I ever mistakenly purchased a printer that was not dual tray, I would use the bypass to print legal.

3 Likes

Has anyone used this Brother printer? Brother HL-L5200DWT.

Thanks.

Yes, and it is okay, though slow.

I prefer the 6200DW or it’s updated version 6300DW. Faster print speeds, very reliable. Purchase the second tray.

I like the multipurpose Brother MFC 6800.

1 Like

Judy, Thank you for the feedback.

I have a Brother MFC-L6900DW in my house and one in my van. Work horses! yes, always get the high capacity second trays.

1 Like

Thank you Jodyleebode

Every printer suggestion In this topic is sold out everywhere! At my wits end trying to find a printer!

I also bought another for a new back-up a few weeks ago. It is still in the box on standby. Fabulous printers.

I currently have the Brothers L6200DW, which is dual tray. I believe the DW means it comes with the dual tray, because there is a version without it. I love it! Best decision ever. I did do a lot of research before purchasing. Prints quickly and i haven’t had a jam yet (although I am a new!). It was $299 on sale with the dual tray from B&H Photo and Video. Came within a two days. Ink for it is $106. I still currently buy the branded ink instead of geneic. I am scared to use the generic since i hear unpleasant stories about them. But i know once i find a good reliable brand of generic i wll definitely switch.
I also purchased the Brother ADS-1700W scanner. It is compact and I can take it on the road. However i do find that it can’t scan large quantities at a time, and for the price $229 (from office depot), i wish it was able to scan more. I will be using it on the road for when the only want critical docs. I am thinking of buying a second printer that has a scanner with it but only 1 tray as back up due to pricing. I am not as busy as many notaries. Two appts a day, by choice until i really get the hang out it.

2 Likes

i think the Fujisu Scanners are the best… Super Fast and amazing quality. You can easily buy them on Ebay

I have a brother printer as well, and I’m buying the Lynkyo generic from AMAZON… never had an issue with this brand toner. It has saved me good amount of money by not buying their brand (brother)
Just a suggestion :wink:

1 Like

the DW stands for Duplex/Wireless. Only if it has a “T” will it ship with the expansion tray…

1 Like

Just Curious. Do you use generic toner or do you always go with the brand name?

My HP MFP M227fdw started printing with black lines this week. After purchasing the HP toner, and cleaning the printer and the drum the lines didn’t disappear. I’ve always used generic toner, and I could not fix the printing issues, so I purchased a Brother HL L6200DW yesterday and now I’m scared to dabble in the generic.

I have been using dual tray HP Laser Jet Pro MFP M426fdw for 5 years and no issues. I purchase my HP Brand cartridges from GMS Supplies online for 4 years ~ they are half the price of office supply stores, HP, etc. I use HP Multi Purpose 20 paper and shop for best prices each order. Prices vary and some times I have coupons. At times find Kroeger stores sell for buy one ream and get one free which is nice. If this printer dies, will lease machine from Canon/Sharp multiple trays-sort-scan-fax which includes setup, repair, toner, fuser and other parts in monthly lease price equal to one toner cartridge price (approx $200). I know sales agent for Kitsap County WA. Would only need to order paper and not worry about anything else. One day response for repairs.

They companies sending you docs in color print a crazy amount more than you ever will. They most likely also have a print service plan, a machine they lease monthly and includes toner like my wife’s law office does. A solo notary wouldn’t most likely be able to afford that without eating a huge chunk out of profits if they could afford it. I’ve never needed color copies. in 95%+ instances they ask you to sign in blue ink for originals. No need to print in color in my experience.