Printing Mixed Size Documents

I’m a newish Signing Agent and I’m having trouble printing pdfs with both letter/legal. I’m on a MAC, I have two dual tray Brother printers, I have Adobe X Pro and Adobe DC and no matter what I do, the entire documents prints on legal or letter, but will not print mixed. Has anyone had this issue? And if so, how did you fix it? Thanks

2 Likes

Had the same issue. Call Brother support 1st & they’ll walk you through downloading & installing a specific driver for your printer, make sure you’re using the most recent iOS. After that contact Adobe support and they’ll remote into your computer, and help you tweak your settings. Between both calls, you’ll be tied up an hour but what a pleasure having both sizes print out in perfect order. Good Luck!

1 Like

I have the same issue. I have a Lexmark, duel tray, and have talked to their tech and they say unless you have a professional large printer, its not possible. If there is a driver out there that will work, please let me know.

Are you sure you have “print according to size” selected on your printer settings? You also have to make sure you have “installed” the second paper tray. Even if the dual trays came together with the printer, the 2nd tray has to be properly connected and installed separately. Hope that helps. …

You will need to assign each tray to the size you want. For instance I have letter on tray 1 and legal on tray 2. You do this directly on the printer not on your computer. Scroll through the settings and you will see it. If you can’t find it do a google search on How to assign paper size to trays in Brother dual tray printer. That should do it.

Hello Chris,

That is great news! I didn’t know there was a solution. I use a Brother also (HL-L6300DW).

I can get the printer to choose the proper paper size but on the second page of legal paper it always starts printing too low on the page which results in the bottom portion being “cut off.” Did you experience this at all?

Thanks

Hello,

What I do is use Windows on my Mac via VMWare Fusion. When printing from Adobe the proper trays are used.

Please let us know if you get it resolved, I’d love to be able to do my work from my Mac OS side instead of using Windows.

I use a Brother HL-L6200DWT. I had same issue initially with incorrect printing on legal sized paper. Corrected once Brother support walked me through installing the specific driver install for my model printer. After that make sure your “default” paper size is 8 1/2X11. Also make sure your setting is not “Custom” The drop down will also allow you to pick “Acrobat Default” Any additional issues, get Adobe support on the phone, no charge, and they will remote in and help you tweak your settings. Printer works perfect now! Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks for the great information Chris. I’ll be getting this done soon.

Thanks for all of the replies. I contacted Brother and she helped me as much as she could, but the document was still printing on all legal. I called Adobe and she told me she was “not trained” on the DC Reader or the ProX that I am using so she had me contact chat. Chat told me the same thing and told me to post my question on their forums.

All drivers and softwares are up to date. Each tray is assigned a paper size and I’m selecting “print according to size”

According to the limited info I can find on Google, it seems to be a Mac/Adobe issue and now I have to decide if I want to purchase a cheap laptop to use just for printing, or install bootcamp/Windows on my Mac in order to print…

I HAD this issue as I’m a MAC user too. Adobe and Mac haven’t worked out their differences in terms of them talking to each other. I called Adobe, Brother and HP and it has to do with MAC and Adobe.

How I rectified the problem was to purchase a used PC (bought at an auction for $25.00) and all I use it for is printing my docs. I installed my adobe acrobat Pro on the PC and no more issues.

1 Like

I know the frustration and pain! I’ve spent the last 10 months on the phone with Apple, Adobe and 3 different brand printer company’s trying to come up with a solution but as you know they don’t have one. I was finally informed that the problem is with all three company’s not just one, so there won’t be a “fix” coming from one individual company since they’re all pointing the finger at the other. I was beyond frustrated until one day I stumbled upon a brilliant programmer who figured out how to fix it. After working with him for several weeks testing and retesting, he’s nearly done with the patch and he’s written it so that it works for any printer that runs PostScript. We’ve tested it on my printers and it works! If you want more info let me know.

I also have a Brother dual tray printer but, I always use this link from Notary Rotary when
printing my PDFs. It separates the letter and the legal sizes on your PDF so it makes printin easier. click on this this link. Hope it helps
https://www.notaryrotary.com/mc/pdfsorter.asp

2 Likes

I went ahead and bought a cheap laptop to run Windows and use as a printing server.

Your printer has to be able to printer mixed sizes. Not all printers are able to do that. Just because you have a
a dual tray doesnt mean it will printer mixed. Their is a software program that you can use to printer letter and legal but you have to do it manually

1 Like

Hi,
I use a Mac and you need to purchase VM Ware to make your Mac think it is a PC and then it will be able to use both trays.

1 Like

Did you read my comment I posted a few weeks ago? Try the website I recommended, it’s very easy.

I didn’t want to have to restack the pages after I printed them in batches (with a page separator), so I just bought a cheap-o windows laptop ($120) and use that as my printer server.

Thanks. I’m sure this will save me a lot of time and money with printing those large packages.

This is a Mac issue, for some reason it just won’t print mixed sized PDF’s. I purchased a Windows emulator called Parallels for around $50 and a copy of Windows 8 for $25. Works great and I don’t need a separate computer.