Recently received my Commission and No Work

Hi everyone, I got my commission about 2 months ago and since then have been busy getting my documents and such in order and connecting with online notary signing systems.

I also spent money on business cards, flyers, etc.

It seems all I’ve been doing is spending money and haven’t received a single notary yet. It’s quite disappointing to say the least.

Am I doing something wrong? I didn’t imagine it’d be this tedious to obtain work. I am shooting to be a traveling notary and really would like to make this my fulltime work.

Thanks for anyone’s advice.

I am in California, am Signing Agent Certified, have a background check done, fully insured to 100K, etc etc.

Well, with the increased interest rate (plus 2 more due says the Fed), refis are definitely getting scarce and there are a lot of experienced notaries in CA. When one of the biggest lender’s refi applications are down 70%, there ya’ go. As you’ve had no calls, do not be tempted to take any ol’ thing tossed at you because you’ll never get out of the bargain bin doing that and definitely won’t cover your costs.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. That’s not very encouraging. I didn’t think it’d be this tedious. It’s not rocket science and from what I’ve heard there is a real shortage of signing agents here in California.

Not sure what else to do.

Hmmmm…

1. “It’s not rocket science” - it’s also not kindergarten either - there IS a certain degree of knowledge you need - it’s more detail and law oriented than you realize.

2. " there is a real shortage of signing agents here in California." - who told you that?? Do yourself a favor - click on the “Find A Notary” tab above, insert your zip code and see how many are in your area - and those are the ones just listed here. Then go to Notary Rotary and do the same thing. Be prepared for a rude awakening.

Someone sold you a bill of goods if you truly believe the above two statements. And the only way you’re going to get work is to market, market , market. Sign up with companies and let them know you’re out here -but I hope you first know your notary laws cold because that’s the root of what you do - and you need to know how to troubleshoot all the different problems that can come flying your way.

I wish you luck.

I agree. These title companies are paying $40 for loans mods w/ scan backs. What?! I had a title company pay me $75 for a new loan 30 min before closing w/ edocs of over 280 pages & scan backs. When I tried to negotiate a higher fee, for both the last min inconvenience & the additionals, I was told it was more than fair?!! How? Thank God the real estate office printer the docs & allowed me to scanned back while I was still in the office. They are getting worst & worst everyday. I rather do $50 loan mods 20 min away (Im in central Florida where everything is 20 min away) and leave in 15 min. I was very professional & told the person, I have over 4 yrs experience & I know if this is being called in 30 min before, clients are waiting. I ccompleted the closing, keys were given and all ended well. Won’t take any other cases from this company, lesson learned. I charge an extra 50 for last min & 25 for fax/scan backs. I wont loose money either. 2 hr for what I get paid for a loan mod.

And by the way… experience goes a long way. I caught 2 errors while doing this last min package. Which I waited an extra 30 min to resolve. I could had easily just sent it off and had them pay extra for a 2nd notary based on their attitude. To save the headache for the buyers & realtor, I had them corrected. They wont appreciate it, but will deftly dock your fee for any errors.

Hi Linda,

I’m not saying it’s easy but I’ve gone through extensive training and education already so this stuff was rather easy for me. I used to be in engineering and have multiple degrees in that field. I left that field for a variety of reasons though.

My comment about notaries being scarce…per capita in California they are…at least that’s what records show. There are supposed to be 160000 notaries in CA. Compared to the number of people in the state, that’s a low ratio compared to other states like Texas.

I agree with you that marketing is key and that’s what I’m doing. I’m registering with as many notary places as I can within reason…I can’t afford to spend non-stop registering here and there where fees are constantly required. It doesn’t make sense.

So far, what has really bothered me the most is the way the NNA has manipulated the situation in terms of everything has to go through them. And the fact that we seem to have to have multiple background checks done and take multiple certification exams and constantly sign up for this and that.

The more I delve into it, the more I feel it’s a racket and agreement drawn up between the signing agencies and the NNA. It reminds me of the CAR and how they have manipulated the system to be funneled through them and only them.

I had a background check done for my commission…there should be absolutely no reason whatsoever I need to pay again to have the NNA do it. Especially when my BGC was already done via livescan, the FBI, and so on. It’s ridiculous.

1 Like

You’re catching on…

Well it’s not too not hard to. I also had my realtor’s license some time ago but let that go after I realized it’s one big scam.

It sounds like you should have done a little more research before assuming it would be easy to quickly become a successful mobile notary / notary signing agent. Starting your own business, which is what this is, is tedious and there’s no way around that. I don’t think that there are very many fields where you can start your own business in an area where you have no prior experience and be immediately sought after and profitable.

As for what you’re spending your money on, I personally never spent a lot of money to register with signing companies, just focus on signing up with those who allow you to do so for free. And before you spend any money to sign up with a company do your research to find out if it will be worth it.

Also, business cards and flyers are cute, but in my experience are not helpful at all. I haven’t used either since the first year I became a notary in 2007 (I actually still have a stack of them because they were useless). I get my business by word of mouth, and if I meet someone and they want my contact info I immediately send them a text or an email.

What I would suggest (especially since you have little to no real notary signing agent experience) is getting out and meeting people in the industry face to face. Join groups such as your local Council of Realtors, there are generally not only realtors but also lenders and title company escrow officers at these meetings. Meet people, talk to people, build a rapport and ask for their business face to face. You have a much better chance this way of building a relationship that will get you easier, higher paying work directly from a title company than the low paying scraps that signing companies offer.

2 Likes

Spot on, Kendra! Armond, you might reconsider the attitude - or at least sounding off about it here. The core of experienced NSAs see many “newbies” come and go, and those who leave quickest are those who believe our work is easy, and doing so fail to treat it with respect.

1 Like

Lol…ok. No one can say anything these days without being labeled as having a bad attitude. It’s better to not share an opinion I guess anymore.

The work really is easy. It’s not hard. Believe me I’ve worked in some very difficult fields. This has nothing to do with attitude. I’m simply stating an observation from my point of view. The toughest part is the marketing…not the work itself.

It’s not the work I’m talking about anyway. It’s the system that we have to work within. There is a clear distinction. Anyway, regardless, I know what I have to do. I was hoping that the environment for work offerings was different than the RE industry but sadly it doesn’t seem to be. My bad.

1 Like

I don’t believe that anyone said you had a “bad” attitude. However, I will say you did come off as “snooty,” but hey, that’s just my opinion. :wink:

And I don’t believe that anyone on this thread said that the work is hard, you are the one who kept pointing out how “easy” it is while asking for advice.

So, since you know what you have to do I sincerely wish you much success in your endeavor!! Please keep us posted on the growth of your notary business!

I’m sorry that what I said is being interpreted it that way. I was simply stating my view point but apparently it ruffled some feathers. I don’t sugarcoat things much these days because I feel it’s better to speak the truth about certain situations than not.

I agree with you about starting a business…I’ve done it a couple of times but the difference between the one’s I’ve started and this is that the obstacles are not caused by organizations who act as gatekeepers and monopolizers of the industry. That automatically creates artificial barriers to entry that really isn’t necessary.

I’ll take your advice and hit up various events and meetups and see what happens. And I’ll keep you posted for sure.