Today 3/31/20 received response from WA DOL re RON. Wish we could do attachments on this blog. Will insert text from email:
This week Governor Inslee issued Proclamation 20-27 Electronic Notary Effective Date, which suspends the delay of the effective date for SB 5641 Relating to Electronic Notarial Acts by Remotely Located Individuals. The new effective date of this legislation is March 27, 2020 until midnight on April 26, 2020 unless further action is taken. The Department of Licensing (DOL) filed emergency rules to clarify requirements for the notary community. These rules went into effect the same day.
This legislation and rule changes will:
• Authorize licensed notaries who have an electronic records and remote notary endorsement to engage in remote notarization, or licensed notaries who apply for electronic records and remote notary endorsement simultaneously to become eligible to engage in remote notarization
• Clarify requirements for communication technology used to conduct remote notarization
• Establish standards for identity proofing when conducting remote notarization
• Outlines authorized remote notarial acts such as taking an acknowledgment or verification on oath/affirmation, witnessing/attesting a signature, certifying/attesting a copy, etc.
• Sets standards for audio-visual recordings and repositories
Licensed notaries with a current electronic signature endorsement wishing to conduct remote notarization should contact the notary program to request authorization to do so.
Licensed notaries without a current electronic signature endorsement wishing to conduct remote notarization must complete the electronic signature endorsement application and then also contact the notary program with the request to conduct remote notarization.
Please note that the department is expecting an increase in demand for the electronic signature endorsement and remote notary authorization. We have increased staff to process these requests and appreciate your patience while we work through those.
Thank you for the work you do to support the people of Washington.
Rules and Policy Manager
Washington State Department of Licensing
Office: 360-902-3846 | Email: EStarrett@dol.wa.gov