Sad Service With FASS

Day before Thanksgiving, FASS calls me, “Will you go to Prescott on Monday for us, we know it’s far, name your price,” so to speak. We agree on a figure, I confirm the appointment, this is set, right? Not so fast.

To stay on the 10:00 AM schedule, I’d have to leave by 8:00 AM. First thing Monday morning, no docs. I email, no one responds. I call on the phone, leave the voicemail, no one calls back. The signer calls ME 30 minutes after the start time, wants to know where I am. No one’s called him, either. An HOUR past the start time, FASS finally calls me, tells me the signing is postponed until 3:00 PM and do I want it. No way, not driving 90+ miles into the mountains and I’m already booked in the afternoon anyway. I explained to the FASS rep that they wasted 2/3 of my workday, I passed up on appointments to keep their on my schedule, and to please remove my name from the list of notaries because I do not work with companies who have no regard for my time.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

2 Likes

Is it “sad service?” Yes. But, unfortunately, it is part of the business and like it or not this is going to happen again with other companies. I recently wrote a long post about how I handle late documents (because, again, it happens a lot more often than it should) Click Here to Read It. But, basically, send an email giving the contracting company a cut off time that you MUST have documents by, and if you don’t get them by that time call the signer and let them know that you don’t have docs so you won’t be able to meet them in time and instruct them to call their lender if they have questions. After that, move on with your day, don’t stress or worry about it. Unfortunately, you allowed FASS to waste your day. For your particular scenario I would have told FASS that if I didn’t get documents the evening before the signing that I wouldn’t be able to do it.
Of course, you absolutely get to choose who you work with, but if you cut off every company that occasionally doesn’t get you documents on time you’re going to have a very small list, because it eventually happens with just about every company.

3 Likes

To be clear, I didn’t let anyone waste my day, and I dont appreciate the pseudo lecture. I was on top of this from first thing in the AM, long before most people are even awake. I did everything I could to contact FASS. That they didn’t respond is on them, not me.

FASS only calls me for orders they can’t seem to find anyone else to take. I’m not one of their favored notaries, and I’m not interested in doing business with any company who shows so little regard for the troops on the front line. No skin off my nose to no longer do business with them

So I had an issue with FASS sometime ago. Was scheduled for closing. Got docs day before as it was a 9AM signing. Was driving beyond my normal range but the fee was really good. Called and advised them the docs were wrong. So I get an email stating, FILE #… has been cancelled. Due to this reason, and due to being a notary for 30 years, I figured it was cancelled due to the error I caught. NOPE!!! at the bottom of the email, it showed a totally different file number and that the closing was still on for 9AM. No docs at 7:30AM which is what time I would had to leave to make the apnt on time. When they called me and asked why I did not show, I advised my email said closing was cancelled. Rep said "look at the bottom of the email. So I look and seen the file number was changed and the closing was still on. I advised I did not have docs by the time I needed to leave. (they are 3 hours behind me so I would have called at 4AM - I dont think someone would have answered the phone). He stated “you should have contacted us then”. I told him I have never had a title company or signing service ever change a file number due to an error on the docs. He stated, "well we change our file number when a closing is cancelled. That is the most dumbest thing I have ever heard. Needless to say, I will never work for this company again. Note: I have worked in several title companies and have conducted closings for alot of years and this is not the way to do business.

1 Like

Answer the phone? LOL, I have never had anyone ever answer the phone at FASS, as well as some other signing services. Ya know, I will go the extra mile for services who keep me busy, who consistently put food on my table. But for the few who only come to me when they can’t find anyone else? Nahhhh, I’ll pass.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this information. I too have experienced this sort of thing a few times and wasn’t sure how to handle the situation.

1 Like

Wow I was dropped from them in 2006.yes…2006 because I asked for loan documents. They said they don’t give status of loan documents and because I was doing this regularly because they were always late they dropped me.

I am amazed this is still happening. Wow.