Scan backs and PDF's

I’d like to get some suggestions from you kind folks about scan backs.
I have been doing them for a couple years and I don’t even own a fax machine anymore because scanning is so much simpler and cheaper, and way less time consuming. But I have a couple of escrow companies that are insisting that I use PDF format when I scan back.
I don’t know how to convert a document to a PDF. So that’s my first question, how does one do that? The drop down on my options for the scan does not list a PDF.
My second question is are there any better techniques out there that I would like to take advantage of instead of just simply scanning and adding them to an email which is what I’ve been doing?
Thanks!

You might try this http://download.cnet.com/Free-Scan-to-PDF/3000-18497_4-75936382.html

1 Like

You can also try this:
http://www.dopdf.com/download.php

1 Like

Adobe has a free site that I use to convert to PDF. I use it for everything that needs a PDF file.

1 Like

I use nitro pdf. It will scan your documents and save in pdf format. It will also allow you to add password encryption to allow the recipient to open your pdf with a password. I think it is a feather in your cap to offer security to your customer when you do this. I send an email to them with the password alerting them that the document is coming. I will then send the document via email with a note that the pdf can only be opened with the password previously sent. It is a little extra thing and it takes little time to do it

6 Likes

If you have an all in one printer/fax/scanner, you can default the scans to .pdf format.

10 Likes

My scanner permits me to pick file type (PDF,jpg) that I scan documents in.

3 Likes

I put all docs on memory sticks to download data. When completed I delete and keep cost down and secure data in the electronic shredder. I have an Epson-WF-3540 ink jet printer for personal stuff but the scanner does JPEG and PDF. The printer is connected to my desk top unit and it works like a dream giving me both formats. I do mostly PDF but can do JPEG when needed. You can that printer for about $99.00 and the nice thing about memory it is dirt cheap.

Tom

I have an fax, but almost never use it. Before the smart phone age, I would scan and email vs uses the fax anyway. Now, I use a scanning app on my iphone. It’s called “TinyScan+”. You can take an unlimited number of pictures that can be automatically converted to pdf. You can then send the pdf via email or upload to google docs, iCloud etc. It costs a couple of bucks but is well worth it.

2 Likes

Let’s not make it difficult, all printers have their own software, by default most of them comes with drivers that scan automatically to PDF. download the newest drivers for you scanning device and you are set to go.

2 Likes

Are you starting with a Microsoft Word document? If so, you can save a Word doc as a PDF by:

Click on the File (upper left corner) then Save As, then look near the bottom of the page and you should see Save as Type: and it defaults to Word Document but you will see an drop down arrow on the right side of that box. Click on that drop down arrow and look for the PDF choice.

I apologize if this seems ridiculous but you don’t say what type of document you are starting with. It would help to know that…so we have to start somewhere. Once it is saved as a PDF, you can attach it to an email and send it to your intended recipient. You can also do that with a Word document. What you may be facing is a size issue. If the file is too large for your Internet provider (some limit the file size to 1mb or less), than that is another conversation.

Good luck

Hello. I was thinking of doing the same thing using CamScanner on Android. Lighting and angles always made my photo shots look different and the PDF is never as good as if it was scanned by an actual scanner. In your experience have the signing companies expressed dislike regarding the scans from your phone?

Yes. Lighting is definitely an issue. However, I’ve learned that too much light is not good, so sometimes you have to find the right spot where you are to begin snapping your images. I’ve also used CamScanner on occasion but prefer “TinyScanner+” b/c you can tilt your phone a certain way and it will automatically size the image and almost eliminate any shadows. This works well when you are scanning mixed originals of legal and letter sized docs. I’ve also learned to scan pictures as images in grayscale vs text or color (you get a variety of options with both apps). This seems to be the cleanest way to get the pdf over to the Title Co/Signing Service without issues regarding page cut-offs, blurred images or inability to print clearly b/c of a color background. I use the scanning apps exclusively now, b/c often the Title Co./Signing Services that I work with want faxbacks almost immediately after if not during the closing.

2 Likes

I use the PRO version of Camscanner for my Android phone. It will scan to PDF. The scan resolution is EXCELLENT. I’ve had no issues with their app.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this information. I just downloaded this program. I think it will make things a whole lot easier. :smile:

Laney,
Thank you in regards to the Tiny Scan. I do have that program…but I am talking about scanning 100 or more pages…I should have been more clear about that. It is great for the 1 or 2 pages…unless I am missing something here.

Will this work for a huge amount of docs…100 or more sometimes? without having to scan them individually?

Thank you I did download this…but I should have been more clear…I am referring to scanning back 100 or more pages sometimes. I see an option for “scan One Document” only. Am I missing something?

Thank you John,
Will it scan mass quantities of docs? 100 or more quickly? I am referring to pkgs of mortgage docs.

I think it will do that many pages, but it will take you forever. If you are doing that much scanning, I think some other folks have mentioned here in the forum that a decent Multi-Function laser printer will allow you to choose the output format. I have a Brother MFC 8710 that will do about 60-75pgs at a time from the auto-feeder. I’d recommend something like that. Also, keep in mind that if you are going to scan that many pages, you may be better off scanning in batches b/c beyond 30 pgs or so the file size really gets up there.