Scanning with legal and letter pages

Hello all! I just purchased a Brother MFC-L5800DW. I have downloaded the scanner driver and also tried the Brother ScannerApp but neither are fixing my problem. When I go to scan a document, it only gives me the option of legal or letter size paper. How can I scan so the PDF has a combination of both without a long drawn out process of scanning separately and combining later? Is there scanning software for free or purchase that has fixed this problem for anyone else? Thank you for your help!!

Hello Abbyb! I saw your email so here goes… Although I am not familiar w/Brother products, I perceive this as a challenge… I googled how to scan on a Brother MFC-L5800DW? Here are some results and I hope it helps…
How do I connect my brother scanner to my computer?
How does scan to email work?
How do I scan and email from my HP printer?
How do I scan from my Brother printer to my Mac?
How do you scan a document from your printer to your computer?
How can I scan a document and save it as a PDF?

I will make sure to look up that search and see what else I can find. Hopefully it will have better answers than previous searches. I may just have to settle with scanning the documents back all legal and ask title if that’s ok. Thank you for your quick reply! I appreciate the help.

I use Brother. Both my portable 1000 scanner and workhorse laser 8950 scan the sheets as they are. My 5700 laser does not - I scan everything on it as legal. If I had no other option than the 5700, I’d scan to PDF on a thumbdrive, then upload from the thumbdrive.

Good morning Abbyb,

I also have a Brother printer (different model). I also had issues getting mine to print both letter and legal. Call them and they will walk you through steps for your printer. I had to download an additional program and then it worked perfectly. Brother has a wonderful customer support. Brother USA support number is 1877-276-8437. It is really one call and fixed when you call them.
Good luck…

Not totally sure but I think you need to scan from your computer monitor as pdf with acrobat adobe. If I use the scan button n my printer I think I have the same problem. But if I use the scan word on my computer moniter and it asks where or how you want it chose pdf and it scans to adobe acrobat.

Hey, I use only Brother scanners & have always set mixed page scans to legal size. I’ve been doing this for years & never had a problem.It somehow works perfect. Best of luck! Alan

ditto–set to legal unless all is letter

If you are simply scanning back documents, I have found that if I set it to legal and scan everything, the signing agency or title company that I am scanning to will always accept it.

Thank y’all for the tips. I appreciate the help!

Hey, there is great software for scanning and it works for almost any scanner. Your scanner is like a separate device from your printer and works from different software.
Software that separates legal from letter is bush league. You have to put it back together in the proper order most times. You’re a pro now and need the right tool.
VueScan is the app built specifically for scanning and it will do many things in addition to scanning mixed paper sizes. One of the best features is that it eliminates
your scan hopper limits. Got a 50 page doc to scan but your scanner only holds 35 pages? No problem, you don’t need to make two files. After you run your first 35 pages
through the scanner, VueScan will ask if you want to add more pages. Just click the SCAN+ icon and it will continue scanning the next 15 pages seamlessly.
Runs about $40-$60. The scan software that comes with you printer is so watered down and complicated. I don’t work for them! I’m just an NSA like you but
I need my VueScan. Makes the job much easier and organized.

What hardware are you using that scanning software on? A standalone scanner?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.