SHADY tactics from shady websites!

As I mentioned in my last topic, I’m new and trying to build up my NSA business. In the last few days, I have received text messages from what turned out to be not-so-kosher businesses who’ve somehow data-mined my accounts on the reputable services I’ve already signed up for.

2 days ago, I got an email asking, “are you available for a signing in Oceanside at 5pm?” I admit that I’m so hazy from uploading my credentials all over the place that I didn’t remember which company it was for by the time I hit, “accept.” Once I clicked the link to accept, it took me to a half-filled-out profile and wanted me to complete my profile and pay $X monthly to be listed with them. I had not filled out this profile. It was taken from my NNA NSA signing agent homepage. So I blocked that email address.

Yesterday, I got FOUR texts over the course of 1.5 hours. It looked like I company I had signed up with but, again, I’ve done so many recently, and they all have the same words the name (Notary, Signing, etc) that I wasn’t exactly sure.

1st text - Are you available for a signing at 4pm, your fee $90. I hit the link to accept, and the green “AVAILABLE” button. Landed on the “we’ll text or email if you get assigned” page.

2nd text - Exactly the same as above, 30 mins later.

3rd text - 10 mins later. Again, only time had moved to 6pm and price had gone UP to $115. “Yes, for the love of Benji, I’M AVAILABLE”

4th - 15 mins later, same as above. 6pm, $115. I finally went to the website and did a “password reset,” Only to find out I’d never signed up there. But they had started an account in my email’s name, and had all the profile stuff pre-filled again, straight from my NNA account. Wanted me to send in my creds.

So, they’re out there targeting newbies who want to jump on all jobs, and dangling FAKE signings in our faces as a way to direct us to their websites. Is this…well…pick a descriptor: Legal? Ethical? Annoying? Have many other people encountered this? Are y’all laughing at the new baby who is just discovering this for the first time, when you’ve been fighting it for years? :joy::joy:

Thanks for reading. Not sure I’m really asking for advice, just ranting.

Once… don’t remember the co. but they sent out offers that didn’t exist, but you had to pay to play.
But, bottom line is–the practice is an indicator of their concept of business… shady.

It happens more than you know and even to the most experienced of us. My general rule of thumb is to google the name of the site. Chances are there are reviews of another NSA’s experience or something that let you know their reputation. Most good platform won’t ask you to pay to be listed. Check some of the previous post here to get an idea of the top companies to use.

It does not happen often but it does happen. It does not mean they are a scam or are unscrupulous, just disorganized or they are being jerked around by another player with some ownership in the transaction. Replying “yes” does not take any effort and you just may get the job. These are normal except…if they want you to fill out a form or want money…no, no no. It’s part of being an NSA.