Signing agent text request

I am barely signed up with any signing companies (only signingagent.com), and I received a signing request from “A Step Above Signing Services” via text. Is this legitimate? Will I get requests by text a lot? They were only paying $85 for a refi with scanbacks. I replied that my minimum fee is $100 for the signing and $25 for scanbacks. Was this a good pricing quote? I’ve read that you shouldn’t take less than $100 for signings, plus extra$ if scan backs and or fax backs are required. -

You’re the only one who can decide what you’re willing to work for. I was told the same thing 10 years ago during a training! That’s what I did, plus a $25 print fee. I can’t advise on scan backs because I’ve only ever sent a couple pictures via email, which I don’t charge for. Your fee sounds reasonable as it is extra time and expense. I suggest politely stating your “base rate” when replying (meaning you would charge more for over two signers, extra large print packages, a power of attorney signing, a far distance, etc).
I have seen an uptick in text messaging and email blasts. Always research the agency first. Even if they’re not on one of the notary blogs there’s usually something online. If you can’t find anything than it’s up to you, but I usually give them a chance.
Hope this helps! Good Luck.

Yes…good quote if the mileage/travel time are fairly close to you. And, yes, texting, e-mail and those rotten auction Apps are on the rise–which really isn’t all that great for us as it seriously limits any answers to questions you may have and, frankly, a lot of these ‘offers’ are to see how low you will go and also have a lot of missing, but quite important, details. Which seems to be one good reason that companies LIKE this–they can fudge stuff and hope you won’t re-negotiate once reality is known.

I have a min base of $100.00. Out of my immediate area +$. Critical scan $+, full package scan +$$, printing for a standard package 100 pages +$, Over 150 to 200 pages +$$. look at travel time…sometimes more important than miles. If it is a difficult drive I will charge more.

1 Like

You’re doing it right, imcloser. Also, tolls, parking if that happens.

A Step Above signing Service (Angie is owner) is a legitimate business. I have worked for her a couple times but always ask for a higher fee even much higher fee based on mileage and other conditions.

I agree with Arichter. I also have worked for Angie at A Step Above and enjoy working with them. One caveat is their payment terms. Read carefully, “45 days but we don’t work weekends”. I’ve done the math and this amounts to 60-70 days.

1 Like

Your requested prices are reasonable, but if everyone agreed with that then signing services couldn’t routinely offer $75-85 for a refi plus scanbacks, as they do. They do it because they know that someone will accept it. They don’t care how much experience you have. They just want a warm body to get the documents signed and notarized as inexpensively as possible.