Signing taking a long time

Oh and I forgot…many Companies are Also Asking for Scanbacks after the Appt!! some want 3,5 pgs and some 10-20!! than go Drop Docs! Challenging!

Sounds good and I’m somewhat familiar with your scenario…What about when How many signing Companies/Title want/ask for How many pgs Faxed/Scanned back Immediately after the Signing and than bug you asking for the shipping status…want DOCS shipped immediately also = more time!

1 Like

I do about 8 signings a day
If you want to message me privately you may. I’ve been doing this for 29 years and can tell you some tricks of the trade. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Good for you! I can only handle between 4 to 6 a day max. After the 6th I’m pooped. It’s like Groundhog Day every day.

4 Likes

6 is my max, 5 is often, 4 is usual, 3 if I have other appointments. 5 days a week, goal is 18 per week. My partner matches that.

All refi, buyers, sellers, or HELOCS.

Very rare for us to take a reverse (too much time for the money), an application, or a loan mod these days.

4 Likes

Christine, it appears that you are on a roll doing 8 signing a day. I am new what advise can you share? I have the NNA certification. I am familiar with most of the loan document after been a Realtor for over 30 years.
Thank you.

3 Likes

I highly agree with you! Organization skills is a must. Also, I make 1 copy of RTC for each signer, just in case they make mistakes. As soon as I come in the borrower’s house, I give them their copy, do an oath, explain to them that there are some forms that I can legally explain to them (Deed of Trust, Note, First Payment Letter, and Closing disclosures), and the majorities are disclosures, that if they have any questions, they would have to call their lender or escrow for the answers. Then after that, all I have to do is keep on flipping the pages and point to them where to sign, sign with date, or initial. They usually don’t ask questions. I double check the docs and I tell them “I will triple check the docs when I get to my office and I hope they don’t mind if I call them, if just in case I see any missing signatures, etc.” I hope this helps…

6 Likes

" As we review each document, I will describe to you the document’s general purpose.", that implies all documents. from SPW Signing Presentation Guidelines. Was your training different than NNA?

2 hours is wayyy to long. Think about the clients sitting there. Could you focus on documents for 2 hours. After 30 minutes most people start to tune out
I am experienced but I have NEVER had a signing take two hours
More than an hour is pushing it.
Imagine going to a title company and having your signing take two hours.
It just would not happen so why should it happen with a mobile notary.
Also, if you take that long…remember your time is money…the longer it takes, the less money you earn in the long run. You are a BUSINESS. Take the fee, subtract out your fees, paper, toner, equipment, fuel, notary insurance, and of course taxes then see how much is left and divide it by the time you spent processing the documents, the time driving to location, the time at the location, the time dropping package and the time for all the correspondence time. You will see you are making very little when you take much longer than normal.
No signing should take more than an hour. There are of course exceptions but don’t overthink the documents. Give BRIEF overview of the documents. You don’t have to go in complete detail on the documents. That is not your job. You are there to help assist them in signing the documents. The documents people care about normally is the note, closing statement and the deed of trust/mortgage. After that there are just a plethora of disclosures that state the obvious and there are usually duplicates of the same form which add to the size.
I have been in the business for nearly 30 years. Operate as a business and remember that your time is money and the clients also don’t want to spend 2 hours of their time signing papers. It is exhausting for them already.
The MAJORITY of people are like this so remember that.

ALOHA

5 Likes

Hi I’m new to loan signing and still trying to figure out costs fees and everything that comes with doing this. I get a lot of low ball offers and turn them down all of the time. In the beginning I was taking $75 offers snd I thought wow this is going to break me if I keep that up! I’ve charged $50 for reprinting docs after I had already printed copies for me and client. They only try to pay me $25 but I don’t budge. I know eventually I’ll get the hang of it and know my worth! It would be nice to hear from someone who’s been doing it quite a long time and especially when you’re doing eight per day. I need some pointers on how to get at least five per day and I work my way up eventually. Thanks for any input and ideas and recommendations.

1 Like

Love your idea. I am new at this and I mapped that exact script in my head but for some reason I can’t put it on the table and make it work for me maybe because I don’t have the confidence just yet.

The only prep I do with my signings are; the notary cert (I sign & stamp during the signing); log the notarial docs in my journal; then like I said, during the signing I just keep on flipping the pages & pointing where for them to sign & initial. Now, if I have 150 pages, it usually take me 40 minutes, then I’m done. If no questions asked, I can do 30 min. If I have to really push it, I could probably do 7 or 8 signings a day if I want to, but, I told myself, I will sleep until 10 or 11 am, and do signing from 2 till 9pm. The only thing it takes long is when we have to wait for the docs. I print my borrower’s copy on double sided print. I go slow when it gets to NRTC because of the date (if not predated), to make sure it has correct dates. To make the story short, I’m comfortable with 4 or max of 5 a day. Also, I only do in my neighborhood, and don’t take anything less that $100 per transaction, depending on how many pages, scanback, etc… I hope this helps! Love this forum! Also, we have to try to make friends with people we dealt with (signing company). Because I have good rapport with my signing companies I work with, they will just call me and ask if I could take a signing for them, then I’ll ask “what’s the zip code, how many pages, scanback or not, what’s the fee?” Then they’ll ask me “how much would you charge?” Then I let them know… what my fee is. The majority of the time, I get what I asked, and if not… I’ll say “NEXT”…

4 Likes

I hear ya! I have been doing better the last couple of months, But for instance last week I had a Signer that 1st didnt want his Spouse or himself too close to me. and wanted to sit at the Other end of the dining room table away from me and just grabbed the 150 pg pkg! Yes we had masks…I told him, I Understand But I need to be close enough to ensure You are Signing the Doc in the correct spot, etc. So he read Every page and we wrote down Questions for Title, etc…We had 2 ph# for After hrs questions, Called several times, No answer, left messages…So 4 hrs later we finally finish up Signing & I QA the Docs and Let him know I will be in contact tmw After I speak with Title…Printing, driving, signing = over 6 hrs!! Reality of some of my Signings…I’m Not Full time and most i’ve done is 3/day. Thank you sharing your Insight!!

I started doing what you do and signings go so much faster. (45-55 minutes) Then I only put red tags on my notarization document so I know that I don’t miss any.

2 Likes

Thank you for your share. I would be interested in learning the tricks of the trade.

The readers are something else, too much time, especially for newbies. It would be good for readers to get their own documents ahead of time. I’m new too, and I’m always looking how to minimize time with borrowers. Good to read your post and organization skills.

Too long. Do NOT stay that long period
If they are not happy with what they have an cannot reach the title then you adjourn the closing. If the borrowers want to sign fine…if they don’t fine…
You are NOT obligated to be there any more than an hour in reality. If the borrower doesn’t not know if they want to sign then let them know you have to adjourn the closing and it will have to be rescheduled at another time. I have been doing this 29 years and was an underwriter for 16. I do between 5 and 8 a day full time in Maui Hawaii. Do not let the borrowers walk all over you like that. Tell them you have another appointment you have to get to and cannot stay any longer. One hour…with a little wiggle room if necessary, but that is all!! You will not get paid extra for that time because you chose to stay there that long. Be strong and just say no. If they want the loan fine…if they don’t then let title know you adjourned the signing because the borrowers had questions. Simple…I don’t want to hear about you or any other notary staying for crazy amounts of time!! You are a notary…that is it. If they don’t want to sign then leave. Time is money and you need to value yourself more than that. You are not part of this transaction at all…you are there to notarize docs that is it., No excuses…I get angry that some of you guys stay there that long. Remember your role is that of notary…period. Either they sign or not…if not…tell title and leave. They can reschedule later…You can always tell them you have another signing you need to get to…because hopefully you will!! ALOHA from Maui…now listen to what I have to say!! I have done at least 13,000 signings over my careers so far…

6 Likes

@chirstineortiz your the best! Love reading your input.

I’m new too and feel your pain. NNA training is as you describe. I also spend an enormous amount of time on prep. I’m confident it will go faster with experience. Only in business two weeks and have completed seven signings in a rural area. I like the suggestions given. I think it’s just a matter of practice. So far, I’ve had solid “readers.” Ugh.

Hello there Eigramh. You have a good idea for borrowers’ copy done on double sided print. But suppose the borrower makes a mistake, how do you swap out?

Borrowers’ eyes do start to glaze over, just like mine after a while. I really need to speed things up. It takes me 1.5 hrs, sometimes 2 hrs and now I see what I am doing wrong. From now on I will cover the right to cancel, disclosure, Deed, Note , First Payment Letter and the rest just have them sign on the requested line.

I am so glad to be part of this forum. Now I see how I can make more money. I have been doing 2 a day but I was wondering how I was going to get ahead; considering paper, toner, gas, etc.

Thank you for your Notarial wisdom ! Ha!