Solicitation By Text, Harassment and Slave Driving Amateur Agencies

I’ve been a notary public since 2008 and NSA since 2009. Since that time I denoted a particular abusive tendency in this industry and gradually phased out those elements from forming any further partnerships such as agencies and title companies. What I found over time is that I’ve been handsomely rewarded for turning down these sharks who wanted my time AND energy for very little in return. What I found is that i invested my time better forming business partnerships when I began saying no to the agencies in particular.

First off, the issue of inflation since 2009 hasn’t been calculated into today’s fees that are even less than what they were after the industry suffered a set back in 2008 the time I began. The NNA has done its best to keep our NSA fees low for their corporate partnerships. We were denied payment for our stamp impressions and reduced to a very low profit margin. This is when I began turning down agency inquiries unless they offered quick payment and unusually high signing fees.

Over time I’ve noted my customers have actually come to me directly for this work so that I get paid on spot with credit cards for my notary impressions. I simply waive mobile fees reducing NSA fees to impression only services. The customers often have the title company flag signature and initial lines for them. It works out much better this way.

We no longer need agencies when we become seasoned notaries, we should have a loyal client base within 5 years to support us without relying on their 30-60 day invoice system. For instance, I still have my very first customer since 2009 who has used my services at his home based law firm! These agencies need to get their act together and realize our customers are calling us directly, that title companies are simply flagging the documents and sending them to their borrower for them to find their own notary and paying us on spot now.

I had a case of amnesia a couple days ago forgetting my promise to myself I would never work with another agency again. Some guy named Ronnie solicited my services by text, then phoned after I agreed to accept a nearby signing for $75. Yes I know but I simply forgot and let down my guard because it was slow all week. What I got in return for my time was nothing but abuse!

1. I got some crappy document without customer contact, three pages of misspellings and garbage about all the penalty fees I’d be charged if I failed to do what was requested.

2. I got the name “Ronnie” drilled into my head as the continual referral to him in the document was ridiculous.

3. I didn’t get a password to log into their portal to access the customer information and received an urgent reminder email to do so just 10 minutes after I received the first email.

4. They used an incorrect outdated email so I had to drive home to log into the website to see the email sent to me.

5. I expected to see the fee agreement in the email instead of threats of multiple fee reduction penalties.

6. When I called Ronnie about not having been provided a password to get into their database portal, he listened to me as if I was complaining, said “you need to get out of this business” and hung up as I laughed at his ridiculous response.

I had ridden my eBike all the way home leaving my local service area in the financial district, to access my computer. This guy’s action is that of one who attempts to befriend, use and dump anyone who doesn’t suit his fancy at any time. I’ve never encountered anyone with such a lack of patience, one little misstep and he will cut someone down from his “friend” network with contacts in many states.

So agencies should be on notice, notaries will begin to say no as I have, customers are coming directly to us paying on spot with credit cards, paying CA notaries $15 per signatures. We simply tell them the HUD provides them with a refund for their payment. The way it should be. The 30-60 day payment is unacceptable as are the amateur trainees at agencies who treat business like their social media network cults.

In conclusion, my experience has been that cheap agencies throw notaries under the bus blaming them for their own poor communications and poor document production. I have jumped through hoops for agencies trying to overcome their own errors only for them to throw me under the bus on a few occasions. The straw that broke the camel’s back was when BancServ called to ask if I would travel to San Jose to do a one signature document and deliver it back the same day to the title company in San Francisco for $35. They offered me $35 and that was when I finally said no more of this highway robbery of my time.

Ronnie put me through all of this over a $75 agreement over a 36 page document so he claimed. He then enjoyed cutting me off, hanging up for the slightest conflict he deemed “ridiculous” when I asked for the password to his so called portal.