Some lender document sets print extra characters on signature line

Once in a while I’ll get a set of documents where there are a half-dozen characters show up on the signature line only when printing from my Brother laser printer. See the below document copy with the problem circled. The characters look like they may be for E-Signings. This only happens in some document sets and it only happens on my Brother laser printer, it does not happen on my HP Officejet Pro printer. Most signature lines print fine with my Brother laser printer, it’s only with some sets of documents where the signature line prints with extra characters that make it so the client cannot sign on the signature line.

The print screen is set to print “Document”, not “Document and Markups” or “Document and Stamps”. Problem documents print fine on my HP OfficeJet Pro, those extra characters (circled below) only show up when the Brother Laser printer prints them.

I have gone through the Brother setup, properties, and preferences 10-12 times over the past few months fighting this problem. The only way around it I’m currently using is to reprint the problem pages with my HP Laserjet and insert them into the documents.

Hopefully someone will carefully read what I’ve done together with the notes added below to the document I’ve attached that has the problems on the signature lines circled and know what I need to do to fix it.

Please no suggestions to merely check the Brother settings or turn off Markups or Stamps… they are not turned on, I have checked the Brother driver, properties, and preferences 10-12 times and retired out of the computer industry so I’m familiar with printer setups. This problem has stumped me for months. Nope I can’t just use the HP printer, it’s not a laser printer which all my clients require I use.

Thank you for looking at this problem. I am praying someone will know the exact fix.

Color me confused. I know nothing about Brother printers (except whenever people are having print problems…a Brother is involved). But you’ve kinda contradicted yourself… you said these problem docs print on your HP Laserjet–which means it IS a laser printer, but then you also say the HP is not a Laser printer. ???

Sorry that was a typo, I meant Officejet, not Laserjet. I corrected it, thank you for catching that.

I’ve had the same problem from time to time. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it. I have called the signing service and they have worked with me to fix it, but even though I have saved the settings that finally worked, it still happens. I have a Brother printer too.

1 Like

That’s at least comforting that I’m not the only one who has had the problem jeromez48. What’s puzzling is those extra characters only show up on the signature line, they look like they have something to do with E-signings. That those extra characters only print with my Brother laser printer and not my HP Officejet is sure a mystery. Brother has been of no help on this.

Looks like I found a fix for my Brother laser printer printing extraneous characters on some signature lines. It’s not a permanent one-time fix but at least it eliminates the problem for the documents you’re about to print.

Brother has a page with the procedure at https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51822/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTgxNDQ3MTc5L2dlbi8xNTgxNDQ3MTc5L3NpZC9mVUFKdk9aZDRuNVRvVGh1SmtrOHFnN0Fob3R3Uzg0eVQlN0VfT0liTURlMUlkX2gxTDA4TWZyR3lHcmE2S3FnJTdFUGJ6aDRHTVZtYlAzUFVrWmh0WkprMXlrQmpyZ0t2VDJVJTdFbHRTZmJTYkdEUzB3S2YlN0V1eThQZ1VCUSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D that says

Missing text, gibberish, or garbage print when printing PDF files from Adobe
Printouts from Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Acrobat Reader, or Adobe Reader can lose some characters when a PDF file does not contain the fonts that are in the document. You may be able to resolve this issue by using the ‘Print As Image’ function within the Adobe application. The location of this option may vary depending on the version of Adobe software that you are using. If you need further assistance, please refer to: http://www.adobe.com.

You basically just go into Advanced settings on the Adobe print dialog page and select print as image.

1 Like