Starting a mobile notary

I have had my notary for a few years, but only used it a total of 3 times. I’d like to start doing them more often, but feeling a little nervous. I’d also like to do loan signing documents, but wanted to ask if there’s a specific training I need to take for that?

Any tips and/or advice that can be recommended would be greatly appreciated. I am located in Long Beach, CA.

~Thank you

First, before you put any more time or MONEY into this, check various directories to see how much competition you have in the area you intend to serve. Signings have slowed down considerably and even experienced notaries are not very busy these days. Also, due to many new people, fees are dropping and if you’re lucky enough to get an offer, it’s probably because an experienced notary turned it down because the fee offered was way too little, meaning, you’ll get stung bad.
Know your expenses and how much it costs you in TIME & MILEAGE to go to EVERY place you’re willing to go or you very well could end up working for free. Not kidding.

Thank you Arichter for responding. That doesn’t sound too good, but will check out things in my area.

As you’re in CA with the highest per notarization fee in the country, you might start with General Notary Work…list your business on Yellow Pages, Yelp etc.focusing on hospitals, nursing homes and the like as these folks are unable to go to a notary and usually REALLY need to ‘get stuff done’. You can charge a travel fee, too. Best places to see how much loan signing competition is in your area is signingagent.com and SnapDocs.com, but I strongly urge you to do your homework about travel expenses, equipment needed, supplies (toner, paper) FIRST or, honest, you’ll get sucker-punched (no nice way to say it, but read this board and you’ll see it happening over and over).

1 Like

Great idea! I’ll be sure to do my homework and research things before stepping out here.

Thank you again.

a google listing can be helpful also depending on your area and the population. As far as loan signings goes, the market is over saturated because recruitment made with false promises by organizations who do a lot of business with testing and selling supplies etc have created a glut on the market. In reality, the only way to make a living at loan signings is working directly with title and escrow companies where you can actually be an independent contractor, except when they use a platform to farm out their signings. Even then, every title and escrow company branch has developed a relationship with a few notaries who they used exclusively (except for out of their area signings) come from the industry with experience in real estate, loans, processing etc plus have plenty experience as a notary. Otherwise, the sad truth is, a person cannot make a living at this unless you have a mail and message center also. You can work with signing companies and go through all that and not get paid much and even still, it could be real slow.

Hi,

I am in Carson, CA(close to LB) and I am a part time traveling notary (I am a full time math teacher). It took a while, but I have been getting a lot of loan signing work, especially off of snapdocs. You need to get certified to do loan signings. Most companies ask for National Notary Association (NNA) certification. Also, I have a google, yelp and all of the other free advertising sites so I get a lot of calls for personal signings. Just take your time and research and read the blogs of other notaries.

2 Likes

Thank you Cheryl. This information is very helpful.

you will do yourself a BIG favor if you get some education. I would start with your state to see what is free. The National Notary Association is an incredible source of info and it is a great statement of yourself when you can say you are a member of the NNA. Additional schooling that may cost a little more, but worth it, Notary2Pro, and coachmelaura.com
good luck

1 Like

You don’t need the training classes. Just don’t miss any signature or initials. Review every page before you got the signing and get the signing company or title on the phone to resolve any questions or issues that my come up.

No yellow pages, and don’t pay for yelp services. Just get on all FREE listing and you will be good. This is from a self taught loan signing agent with $100k in signings a year.

Being part time is not all in, but once you retire from teaching, you will have a good business & extra income already established. Take you time, don’t talk to customer when reviewing the documents after the signing, be hard on yourself when you make a mistake.

Long Beach is a good area, your right between LA & OC.

Good luck.

HI,

As a new notary, that is exactly what I was thinking (not needing fancy training etc) but I was given the impression that many signing companies won’t touch you unless you had , E&O insurance , Training certs, etc… (also FWIW I am taking courses hoping it is an added “selling point” for using me).

On the flip side, I was approached (online) by a signing company asking me to do a signing for a close in the next town over (I ultimately did not do it since it was the next day and I was bust that day with my “regular” work ( I do other work as a self employed person and was doing notary work as an add on).

I was mainly posting this as an FWI post so maybe it will help other new people make or not make choices.

Andrew

Please… you have had your Notary Certification, not your ‘notary’. You perform notarial acts, you do not ‘do notaries’ ( which sounds obscene in current venacular). Please… be proud of your membership in an ancient and honorable profession. Use the correct terminology.

1 Like