Strange email request

Hi all, I wanted to throw this out to you more experienced Notaries. I’ve been getting a lot of strange emails and phone calls offering me signing opportunities. The companies don’t identify themselves and all ask what my fees are and say they want to send the docs over. Here is an example email I received just today.

*     "I found your contact info on Notarycafe.com,We are in need of a notary agent for a refinance closing here in Alaska on Thursday. Will you be available?  If so, Please let me know your fee, so i can send the doc and borrower contact info to you through secure mail"* 

This is exactly as it arrived typo’s and grammar errors included. It was signed by the “Operations Manager” of an unidentified company where the address was in Florida. Has anyone else been receiving emails and text’s similar and what is your take.

I’m guessing they want to click on some link, which purports to support secure email. It’s much more likely the link will lead to some form of malware. I’d delete it.

There is no links in the emails. Just these weird requests. I deleted them. I only deal with companies I know that pay reliable. I don’t need the hassle.

I just received something like this but even more generic. No phone number or company name and no details regarding the appointment request. Just that they need a notary in my area for next week. The e-mail address is a gmail address (via creativeitinstitute). When I looked that up it is in Bangladesh. Look out!

1 Like

Oh boy! I didn’t go so far to research where the email address came from. Good to know. Glad I ignored it. as nsa4florida noted there were no links in the email so I’m just curious what the final motive is. I’m not willing to respond to find out. Thanks for your input.

I got the exact email. I am in Arizona. When I emailed back to clarify sate I got no response. Strange!

I got the same email worded exactly the same for California. I responded, quoting my fee as $150. He responded with a confirmation and borrower name and said they pay $200 (red flag!.) The pdf send was “secure mail” which had me but in my mobile #, my email, and pick a password. It lead me to a dead end. I came on to Notary Cafe to see if anyone else had gotten these emails and sure enough! If you get one of these…delete it!!! don’t respond. I have to go do a thorough scan of my computer now to make sure I don’t have malware!

I have gotten this. They downloaded something. I never got a confirmation. It was suppose to be today. hmmmm

I received this email last week on Monday stating that the signing was on Thursday. I thought it was strange too, especially because I don’t live in Alaska. I responded with that information only. I later google the address in the email and found that it and the fax # belongs to a Title Company in Florida that has no affiliation with the person who sent the email - Felipe.M_endoza@yahoo.com. I also reported the email to Notary Cafe. They advised to not click on any links. Always try to make contact with a potential client if you are not aware of who they are, The scamming individual responded on Thursday saying that the signing was moved to Friday with an PDF attachment of docs. (which I did not open) But the details in the email mentioned meeting with the signer on Monday, further indicating a fraudulent signing request., I added this bogus email address to SPAM.

same email 2 weeks ago, spam. I just delete it.

I too received a request from Empire West. They said they sent the docs and when I went to download I was warned with an ALERT. Very suspicious. My question is why would they bother other than to try and access your computer.