Strange emails and scams targeting Notaries

I recently received an email as follows from one Deloris Gibbs ,10800 Biscayne Blvd, Ste 725 ,
Miami, FL 33161 sistie2017@outlook.com .

I quoted back that my fees is $250 per closing. However I noticed that i got response few days back as below. see the 3 screen shots. No Phone number, and No response to my direct questions.

NOTARIES !! BE WARY OF WHAT YOU CLICK. A lot of your emails are being farmed from various notary websites and then subsequently we are being targeted for various nefarious schemes. So I am just sharing

3 Likes

I also received an email from her with the same link to click on. Because there’s so many different companies with different login systems I originally thought it was ok. After clicking the link and it wouldn’t go thru I started to wonder. Then I came on this forum and saw your post. It was very helpful. Thank you!

I just got an email from “her” now. I thought I’d check here before replying. Thanks!!!

1 Like

YOU ALSO GET CONSTANT EMAIL FROM VARIOUS SOURCES

1. THE SUBJECT AND MESSAGE IS VERY GENERIC
  2. NO EMAIL SIGNATURE , PHONE NUMBER / ADDRESS/ WEBSITE OR COMPANY NAME
  3. THERE IS ALWAYS A JOB IN “YOUR AREA”

THEY HAVE JUST HARVESTED YOUR EMAIL FROM OTHER WEBSITES AND just email everyone and wait to find out who responds and further LURE them into deeper too get then to download some thing or click something.
Dont do anything ! Just block and delete these waste of time nuisances

1 Like

Here is another scam. Now it is from an attorney. Got signature, a very unprofessional email
M.Ade001417@Outlook.com > No decent attorney will have such an obvious fake email.

Now, The same email arrived in my junk box across mulltiple emails i use for notary work. That way, I know it is a mass email from some database, that has all notary emails.

IT is from Mary Adeyinka ( Name sounds nigerian) > Hello !!!

I check the business directory / google.
No such attorney lives at this address or state or city.

I also call if the name comes up as a match and verify at the attorney office.

See See screen shot.

5 Likes

This came to my email as well on Monday, I noticed the scam immediately, the Name of the person who sent the email doesnt match the Signature name at the bottom… Marie/Marrie

3 Likes

When I got the first email, I decided to play along. Got a response this morning and it was almost word for word compared to the emails everyone else has reported. If nothing else, you gotta admit- this was/is a very elaborate and detailed scam. Have to give the crooks props for that…

Got the same emails from Austin Goodrich

Hope your curiosity is satisfied now.
Wait, until now you are hit upon by other creative email, now that they verified your email and your receptiveness to bit the “BAIT”

More scam or Waste of time.

I received the same scam followed up two days later by a link that was blocked by Google with a warning. It’s getting hard to tell what is legitimate but this forum is very helpful to identify the scams that they are sending to many different notaries. Please continue to post your scams to help each other out.

Good morning,

We have some clients that need to sign a few closing documents on Thursday for a private loan refinance and purchase. Do you have availability to cover this? If yes, what’s your fee?

Thanks,
Marrie Adeyinka, Esq.

Attorney At Law
The Professional Building
1300 Market Street, Suite 105
Wheeling, WV 26003

2 Likes

I received the same and appreciate your sharing!

Why are you using government computer / email for your side gig/job ? It should be a personal computer with a personal email ?

We can check our emails

#ANOTHER SCAM EMAIL#

Bad bad idea to compromise your government computer that way; I work for the Census Bureau and if I did that I’d be in the unemployment line in a heartbeat.

Should never co-mingle business to business or business to personal - nothing good ever comes of that - If you MUST monitor your personal/personal business email, do it on your smartphone.

JMO

2 Likes

You’re right Linda :woman_shrugging:

I got the same email but it was from “Laura Howard”. I replied that I was too busy and work with about a dozen Title or signing services which keep me completely booked up, and suggested “she” try signingagent.com. I am suspicious of requests from unknown sources and not fully identified. Legit companies give more complete info.

I got a reply with a “link” to download docs and that “she” had a migraine which is why the slow reply. I never even tentatively agreed to work with “her” so something seemed extra wrong that I’d be sent a link for docs. The grammar wasn’t quite right…often a tip off-and the reply listed a title company in Florida so I looked them up on the internet and called them. They had no Laura Howard and said it was a scam. I figured it was about either Mortgage fraud or an attempt to hack my computer.

1 Like

I received something similar to this from a David Helliwell, same title company. He said he got my information from Notary Cafe. Perhaps American Home Title of Land O’ Lakes, Inc. should be informed someone is using their company name to try to scam notaries. I thought it odd there was no phone number to contact him. The link they provide in their email is not secure, another tip off. When I clicked on link from my iPhone it came up with a waring of a dangerous website trying obtain financial information or passwords. I promptly changed my email passwords. Beware. I suspect they are targeting newer notaries

I think for the most part, all of us have enough experience to know this not the manner in which signing agencies do business. No one sends you docs or files to a signing agent with whom they haven’t spoken with or confirmed the assignment.

#Becareful #TheScammersAreOutThere