Strange Signings

Nice! And perfect timing on the Music Festival! Who would have thought?!

That one takes the cake - what an experience.

Last week, I trotted up and down a hospital corridor beside a woman in labor while her husband held her up and coached her breathing. She signed docs between contractions, using a hospital clipboard. I kept offering to re-schedule, but they wanted to keep signing. They were taking out equity to furnish the nursery! The final document was signed with me crouched next to the birthing couch while the doctor told her it was okay to push. That last signature was pretty shaky. I was a little late with the scanbacks, but title understood when I explained the circumstances.

6 Likes

That takes the cake !

Tomorrow I have an interesting appointment: Eight couples, six properties, involving four loans, two owner contracts, three quitclaim deeds. Wonder if there will be a partridge in a pear tree in the yard?

2 Likes

I once had a signing at a strip club. That was interesting. I am a pretty vanilla, straight shooting guy who is married. I was just glad we got done before all the ladies got to working too good.

2 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you but I believe my story will take the prize. My first appointment was in “Deliverance” country - scary place with lots of abandon cars, blue tarps and barb wire. I soon realized that the signer was a hoarder. There were 3 double wide trailers all packed to the gills. Mr signer said there was room in his office - a 12x12 building. The “room” meant that we could actually stand in the building. The only surface where I could lay the docs was on top of a bar stool. Thank God it was only seller’s docs - would never have made it through a VA signing! Then when I checked his ID I realized he was she and the ID didn’t match the docs! You can’t pay me enough to go back there again!

Next appointment I had to listen to complaints about the signer’s sex life! I kept joking saying “too much information” and threw the docs down as fast as I could so I could get out of there!

Next appointment a sweet little 18 month old boy insisted on sitting on my lap during the signing!

4 Likes

I had one recently with rat droppings and dead flies. No space to walk further than entryway. Only 2x3 space to stand/sit/sign.

I will not go back there again either.

It happens! I plan on writing a book on closings. Signing agents need to be appreciated big time. Me…16+years.:sunglasses:

Animals
Children
Hoarders
Gun people
Ex’s

2 Likes

Do it! Oh boy do I have signing stories!
Last week I got one that during the signing, he stuck his finger in his ear flicked something out of his ear, I think it went in my direction:( :tired_face: He then wiped his finger on his pants and continued on with signing! I tried not to throw up! I seriously thought to myself that I should start doing something else for a living! :joy:

2 Likes

Curious. Was this treasure your own find or did it come through a signing company?

Title company. 3 hours to complete.

Amazing. You must be very organized. I would like to have seen a video of that entire process. I plan to keep things as simple as possible.

$600 - $100 per loan. Excellent incentive.

1 Like

Well nowww, I have actually accomplished complicated things in my life. Maybe I’ll be open minded:-)

The oddest notarization so far, was for a contract on a herd of cattle between a rancher and stock buyer. The locations 1/4 mile off a dirt road in the pasture surrounded by the cattle that were headed to slaughter. Only in Texas.

I’ve been lucky. Some “cootie” houses and a few hoods of a car, but yesterday I went to the wife’s place of work, where her husband met us. It was some kind of factory that made things for military? They wouldn’t even let us sit at the picnic tables on the property, so we went around the corner to a restaurant that didn’t have indoor seating yet (NJ just reopened inside dining), so hood of my car it was.

2 Likes

That is a great experience.

What did you do about the ID not matching? Did you leave without him/her signing?