Texas Legislature Online- HB 1217 Has Passed

What are your thoughts? How will this affect your business? I know e-notarizations were already permissible, according to the Secretary of State. What is this bill changing?

Looks like Texas is going to allow webcam notarizations…

We will see how it will affect us. The bill allows webcam notarizations which may eliminate the need for the services of mobile notaries and signing agents. We may be replaced with a few high-tech webcam notarization companies in the near future and we may lose business to national online companies.
But, that’s a lot of “MAYs” LOL!
I am hoping that it won’t affect us too much because mortgage companies tend to be reluctant to use updated electronic methods to get documents signed. For example, I work with a company that has an online platform (not e-docs or docu-sign) that allows a customer to view documents on my iPad as a pdf, sign just one time and that signature is applied to all of the closing documents! Signings only take about 15 minutes and most of that time is getting connected to the internet and signing in. It is quick and funding is almost instantaneous, BUT hardly any companies use it because, again, mortgage companies tend to be reluctant to adapt to new technology that gets rid of good old pen and paper. But, again, only time will tell, no sense in worrying about it until if / when it actually happens! :slight_smile: