This seems rude

I’ve done a couple signings with Coast 2 Coast, I have yet to be paid my $30 without calling and emailing to say hey I haven’t been paid it’s been over 30 days. So I email Lisa because again, I haven’t gotten paid. I said “hi, I haven’t been paid again for the signing I did for so and so, thanks.” I get cc’d on an email to someone (I assume the accounting person) and it said, “she said AGAIN” CAN YOU look?” This feels extremely rude. I’m not sure why the attitude, as I’m the one who has to chase you for my money!?

Stop working with them. Low pay and slow pay are my two biggest no-no’s, and it looks like Coast 2 Coast is both! These companies will never do any better if notaries keep accepting this poor treatment.
Signing companies need US, we don’t need them. Take your services to another company (preferably directly to a title company) that will pay you well and on time and with professionalism and respect.

2 Likes

I’d love to go to a title company but I’m still pretty new, and they all want 2 years experience, otherwise I wouldn’t take these $30 signings.

Rona, the “they all want 2 years experience” line is not always the case unless you are in a small town with only one or two title companies and the only two title companies in town have actually told you that. :wink: Honestly, it’s just a misinformed line that new signing agents pass along to one another. I mentored a notary who now, in less than a year, works directly with a title and mortgage company so I know for a fact it’s possible.

Title companies are actually a lot more flexible than signing companies, as long as you are GOOD a title company will have no problem contracting you, even if you have less than 2 years experience. And I define GOOD as being detailed oriented, with a near 0% instance of making errors, being able to thoroughly and efficiently give a description of the most important documents (CD, Note, Payment Letter and Deed), being able to point out answers in the documents for the most frequently asked questions by signers and having a pleasant personality. If you are GOOD, even IF a title company has a "2-year experience rule,they WILL bend it to get you!

We have to get out of the mindset of being employees and realize that we are basically our own business. We do not have to accept the dregs that are doled out by signing companies, BUT we do have to take the time to research, study to get very good at our craft and then constantly work on marketing ourselves directly to title companies. Is it hard work? You bet! But, it will all be worth it when you aren’t working for $30 anymore and you are getting paid your worth! You can do it!

7 Likes

Why are you doing a signing for $30.00? You can’t break even at that fee.

1 Like

Jewels dropped here, great post.

1 Like

Yea, I’ve had an experience with a rude person from C2C when the error is on their part. Don’t let their petty responses dismay you from getting what you are rightfully owed, even if it is $30. They may remove you from your database after you do receive your pay (if they haven’t removed you already, smh), but nonetheless, get that money and work for another SC or hopefully a title company. Good luck.

Please, please, please STOP accepting jobs for $30 or anything close to that. You can’t possibly survive as a business when you don’t even cover your expenses.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! My boyfriend works at a title company and tried to get me in there, and even they wouldn’t have me without 2 years experience! I tried a few places but got discouraged, so I thought I’d work on doing some signings and getting experience. I’ve taken the last month off, because I bought my own house and didn’t have time to take $30 signings lol. I need to brush up on my knowledge and try to get into a title company. I appreciate the positive encouragement!

1 Like

I only took this one because it wasn’t last minute, and it was a mile away from where I work, right after work, so it was super convenient, initially. The guy ended up not answering his phone for 3 days and I had to drive a half hour to his house on a Saturday, so I ended up probably breaking even on it. To then not get paid for over a month and then have the owner of the signing company be rude was just a kick in the ribs. That was the last singing I’ve done in the last month, because I bought a house and I didn’t really have the time to deal with bs like this.

I am the signing agent Klewis31975 mentored. Main thing she points out is that you have to be good! I shadowed her on about 12 signings before I went solo. I practiced over and over with each document, especially, CD, note and Deed of Trust and reading upside down. I went to a couple of networking events with local Title companies and a Veterans Real Estate Group. I also do signings in Spanish which is an advantage. I sat down with all the docs and translated the legal and loan terms. I practiced that as well! Another main point is paying attention to detail! Title companies misspell names, leave out names, etc. I look through the docs before I meet with signers to verify all is correct. I talk to a lot of other notaries and they think this is fast money. You have to market yourself for your skills, not how long you have been doing this. Being good is worth more than I’ve been doing this for 2 years. Some SS call me directly now before they put it out there. CEO of one SS called me and said I was preferred notary–because I follow their instructions and don’t make mistakes. Sorry this got lengthy, but I am passionate about what I do and always want to be the best.

4 Likes

I would do not one but 10 c2c signing As I don’t have to worry getting paid from them They release payment after 45 days to 60 days they get paid 30 days out then once the money gets cleared in the system it takes another 3 to 4 business days once the payment is reciept Is posted then the accounting department has to process the payment against each closing and Once that is done the payment is processed . Lisa is a honest hardworking and to be berated by people on this forum is not nice remember your profile gets high ranking by signing services not by title.The title company has not one but plenty of other notaries that they can use you have to Go extra mile to get their attention

1 Like

I’ve done a number of signings for Lisa at C2C and I’ve never had a problem with payments. It sounds to me like her “AGAIN CAN YOU LOOK” was not directed at you but at her accounts payable person. I’m taking it as she was quoting you to her staff in a way to get them to get you paid ASAP.

No one is asking this question. What kind of signings are you doing that merits a very very low $30., I wouldn’t even do a Loan Mod than. Don’t tell me your doing a full refi??

Bill

I had a incident with c2c last week. Lisa is rude and honestly told me I work for her and that whatever is in my instructions from botw that I need not to follow. Hello I work for myself and yea I will always follow the instructions. Dont low ball yourself ever. this is your business and you need to do what is best for you.

I thought shadowing was not legally allowed?

It’s frowned upon and usually not acceptable to the title company or SS - it’s considered an infringement on the borrower’s privacy. Hopefully it was cleared with hiring party before doing it.

1 Like

I work direct with a title company for a builder. The title company, builder and signers all gave permission for me to have a few signing agents attend certain closings since I was training them to do business for that title company / builder. I now subcontract signings for that title company / builder to the signing agents that I mentored.

You are right, normally shadowing is not allowed, especially if you are doing signings for a signing company. However because of the relationship that I have with that particular client I was able to do so. Yet another benefit of direct business!:grin:

1 Like

I don’t understand why notaries abused themselves by accepting these kind of insulting low fees:(
I don’t take anything less than $100. Once in a while I took a couple of $90 or $95 and felt stupid for taking them because they turned out to be more messy and more work than some of the $150-$200 signings I’ve done. Please respect your role as an NSA. You are a Public Official not a bottom feeder:(.
This morning I received a notification for $10 signing. I was like… how insulting:(. I took a deep breath and replied No of course with a counter offer $100. I did not get the response back. Not surprised. I’m sure someone took that $10 job or maybe he or she counter offered at $50 or $60 and took it. Wow, no thank you.